Does anyone know what these are?

Matt Harwood

Lynite T-slot Pistons

I'm just kind of curious as to what these are or what they are intended to fix and how. The auction says they are to reduce piston slap and oil consumption, but I can't figure out how you would use such a thing unless you jammed it inside the pistons or something.

I'm just curious about these old repairs, and this one has me stumped. Thanks!

Matt,

Hard to figure and I have no idea. Looks as though they would insert somehow (assuming inside the piston) but other than tension don't see how they would stay in place. I can not make out the patent number on the box but a quick look in a patent library file (must be one in Cleveland?) should explain how they are supposed to work. I am going to the Buick car show in Pasadena next Sunday and the the Pasadena library (a short block away for the show) is one of two local libraries with a patent library as well so I could look up for you if you can make out the numbers. Let me know.

Lynite is an alloy made of 95 % Aluminum and 5 % Copper. In the 20- 30's it was used for connecting rods and pistons instead of cast iron. Dont ask me how I know this stuff, but it is some of the extrainious stuff that stuck in my head.

Alcoa was the main manufacturer of Lynite.

I looked on the web and this is an ad I found for it.

Lynite Ad