Pontiac site

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

I know a lot of Buick owners here also own Pontiacs and many have asked for a Pontiac site, as nice and informative as the Buick site here. Well I have finally found a Pontiac site similar to this one. Go to : <A HREF="http://www.performanceyears.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi" TARGET=_blank>http://www.performanceyears.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi</A> <BR>About a week ago, they required a credit card and a $10 fee. I asked the administrator of another way to join and he said address and DR LIC #. I never sent and only two days later, I tried to sign up again and it let me. No great deal of info required. Must have changed their board a little though, because a lot of members complained about the board being different, but I am glad to have found the site. This site has been great and a lot of help even on other General Motors cars, but this site focuses on Pontiacs and may be some additional help there that may help Pontiac owners. <P>Hope this information is informative. <P>Tony<P>72 Buick Electra<BR>89 Pontiac Safari<BR>91 Honda Accord<p>[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

Performance Years BB started the pay-to-play thing a while back. They had a REAL problem with people sniping each other, some of them would get downright sh**ty with each other. Generally uncivilised behavior. They were trying to discourage that when they started charging to join. As in all forums, there are a few who try to dominate, but we tend to let them toot their horns and blow their smoke up their own behinds.<P>But you're right, the PYBB is an excellent Pontiac info source. Let's hope AACA can work a deal with the Pontiac clubs to open a forum here!

Guest Shaffer

Looks as if it is free again. I did not have to pay anything to join. <P>Tony<P>72 Buick Electra<BR>89 Pontiac Safari<BR>91 Honda Accord

As a regular Pontiac board visiter, I can tell you first-hand the by-far best site is ClassicalPontiac.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.pontiaconline.com" TARGET=_blank>www.pontiaconline.com</A> <P>The message boards have always been civil and the quality & quantity of info is top-shelf, even beeyond this fine board. No credit card #s or member fees either.<P>MARK<BR>59-4637<BR>64-2957<BR>64-2369

Guest Shaffer

I visit the classifieds section of that site quite often, but have not yet found the message boards. <P>Went back and searched the site. I found it. Thanks.<p>[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

Guest Shaffer

Now it is messed up. I tried to log back on and it keep saying error and won't let me to the site at all now. ??????????????

Guest Shaffer

Will someone click on this <A HREF="http://www.pontiaconline.com" TARGET=_blank>www.pontiaconline.com</A> link and see if it will work for them? Won't even let me in now and you don't even have to have a password to get to site. I tried to put in my password to get to the board and now jsy keeps saying Problem with password. Thanks.<P>Tony<P>72 Buick Electra<BR>89 Pontiac Safari<BR>91 Honda Accord<p>[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

Shaffer, I am having the same problem. I went to the site once and entered a user name. I received an e-mail from Pontiaconline with my user name and password, and it indicated that I could now access the forum. When I try to enter, the only screen says: "There is an error with your user name and password."<P>Beats me!

Guest Shaffer

I would love the Pontiac site here. However, Pontiacs are rarer cars than Buick, so may not be as popular as this Buick site, but I think it would be a welcomed site. <P>Tony<P>72 Buick Electra<BR>89 Pontiac Safari<BR>91 Honda Accord<p>[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

Guest Shaffer

That is what the site keeps saying to me now. I have always went to it before, just to browse the ads. Never had to log-on. Don't know what is wrong with the site.<BR> confused.gif" border="0

Not sure what's happening on your end. I clicked on the link above, clicked on "Q & A", clicked on "enter current archive" and got the message boards. When I registered and got my password almost 2 years ago, I logged in, went to the 'current archive' and bookmarked right there- so I'm always logged in everytime & I go straight to the message board- no typing anything in. This very procedure is recommended in the logon section.<P>Contact the site's administrator for help- he'll get you straigtened out [ ramair@classicalpontiac.com ]. In the meantime, you can read the Q & A- you just can't post until the password problem is sorted out.

Guest Shaffer

What's ironic is that I have been going to the site. Only when I tried to log-in is when it is keeping me out. Even when I type in the site, it automatically says invalid name or password.

Guest Shaffer

In some cases, Pontiacs are rarer than some Buicks. Just according to the years. Especially in the early 70s. Almost all early 70s Buick models were more popular than their early 70s Pontiac cousins.<P>Example: Top of the line Pontiac/Buick full-size for 1972-<P>1972 Buick Electra 225 Custom 4-door hardtop- around 107,000 made<P>1972 Pontiac Grand Ville 4-door hardtop- around 30,000 made<P>--------------<P>1972 Buick Skylark Custom 2dr hdtp - over 50,000 made (will look up exact total) <P>1972 Pontiac Luxury LeMans 2dr hdtp - only around 3,000 made

Guest Shaffer

I think the early 70s Pontiacs (particularly the full-size) were just as nicely styled. Chevrolets sold in the largest numbers, due to the nice design and price. Pontiacs had a more sport/luxury design. The Buicks was like affordable Cadillacs and luxury sold well in the 70s. Except Mercury sold in low numbers in the early 70s. Buicks was very good selling cars and according to my research, they was the next rank below Chevrolet and Ford in sales in most years. And I think the Aztec was the worst Pontiac ever made. <P>Tony, <P>72 Buick Electra 225 Custom 4dr<BR>89 Pontiac Safari wagon<BR>91 Honda Accord LX 4dr<p>[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

Originally posted by Shaffer:<BR>--------<BR>In some cases, Pontiacs are rarer than some Buicks. Just according to the years. Especially in the early 70s. Almost all early 70s Buick models were more popular than their early 70s Pontiac cousins.<BR>--------<P>Overall, that isn't correct. Of course on a model-by-model comparison, sometimes the Buick will be more popular, sometimes the Pontiac will. <P>Pontiac was 3rd in US sales from '62 to '70 inclusive. Buick was 3rd in US sales in '50, '55 & '56 (4th in '51, '52, '53, '54, '57). <P>Here's "early 70s" model year sales figures:<P>1970 - Pontiac: 690,953 . Buick: 666,501<BR>1971 - Pontiac: 586,853 . Buick: 551,188<BR>1972 - Pontiac: 706,978 . Buick: 679,921<BR>1973 - Pontiac: 919,870 . Buick: 821,165<BR>1974 - Pontiac: 580,045 . Buick: 495,063<BR>1975 - Pontiac: 531,922 . Buick: 481,768<BR>1976 - Pontiac: 746,430 . Buick: 737,466<P>From '62 to '79, Buick never once outsold Pontiac. Buick remained right behind Pontiac in sales after '76 until finally passing in '80.<P>I'm not implying anything with the above, just presenting the facts.<p>[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: WQ59B ]

One thing to note here is that Buick typically sold more "full-size" models than Pontiac, at least during the early 1970's. In fact, Buick often sold more "full-size" models than anyone except Chevrolet and Ford. When intermediate size cars, compacts, pony cars, etc. are figured in, Pontiac outsold Buick during this era. Buick's sales strength was clearly with the full-size cars.

Guest Shaffer

YellowLark: I think that "Standard Catalog of American Cars" has those figures in the back. Also, let me clarify; I was referring to the full-size Buicks/Pontiacs of the early 70s.<p>[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

But what about Oldsmobile rolleyes.gif" border="0 Seriously though , didnt they sell an awfull lot of Cutlass's? All generations. Always been alot of 88's through out the years as well.<P>In regards to the Pontiac site, the Oldsmobile site has been moving very slowly.I dont know how the Pontiac site would go. There is a fair amount of GTO's around here but I must say I have seen fewer full size Pontiacs than Buick , Olds and thats not saying much.<P>This is the kind of thing that is needed for interest in the full size cars. I believe especially by the amount of registered members here that it has helped to keep interest in some otherwise disappointed or uncertain Buick owners.<P>Thanks Peter

Guest Shaffer

I am a member of a Pontiac site (not here- see link at top of page) very similar to this Buick site and it has a LOT of posts. Looks to be even more posts than here. One thing odd is that they (Members) have star ratings for members. I think a Pontiac site would be great here. <P>Tony<P>72 Buick Electra<BR>89 Pontiac Safari<BR>91 Honda Accord<p>[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

Guest Shaffer

I just noticed on that site, that there is less topics, but more posts. Also does not have as active as a buy/sell forum. But a lot of other smaller forums pertaining to Pontiacs. This is still the best site for information that I have ever seen.<P>Tony

Two reasons the Olds traffic isn't building as you would have thought- 1) <A HREF="http://www.442.com" TARGET=_blank>www.442.com</A> gets almost all the F85/performance message traffic, and 2) due to some serious incompetencies at the top of OCA their website isn't getting updated and as a result members don't hit it. And if they don't hit it, they don't find out about the AACA forum that has so graciously been provided for them.<P>The same stories have been on that website for nearly three years. They had an outstanding webmaster who got canned in the aftermath of the 1998 election turmoil and the new one hasn't shown me anything.

Guest Shaffer

Spoke too soon. I tried to log on again and now shutting me out again. I think I will never return. mad.gif" border="0rolleyes.gif" border="0<p>[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Shaffer ]