sound deadner?

Guest tigermoth

Guest imported_tigermoth

on my '35 terraplane inside the door they used a jute backed burlap between the outer door skin and a verical brace. it seems this stuff is only good for 70 years and it ALREADY needs to be replaced. what are people using? can we still find this jute backed burlap. the piece they glued in there was about a 10" by 14" piece. any help would be appreciated. thank you. sincerely, tom

You are correct the aluminum hotrod stuff works great. Far better for noise and sealing the heat out. Pontiac used the tar deadner under the headliner and on continuous hot days will leak black goo onto your headliner. Thats what happened to me.

Another product that works almost as good is the black armor-flex insulation sheets that is used for ductwork, pipes, etc.

Guest imported_tigermoth

is anything similar to the original material available? the stuff is pinched under a fair amount of pressure between the door skin and a stamped metal stiffner bar. i am affraid any aluminized pad would fret away with vibration and pressure and the beauty of the bulap/jute is it breathes, so any moisture that gets into the door won't be trapped between this material and the skin or stiffning bar. any other ideas? this just occured to me, do upholstery shops use this stuff today? thank you for the suggestions already given. sincerely, tom

Guest DeSoto Frank

Some folks are pretty fond of a product called "Dyna-Mat"...it's not cheap, but it supposedly very effective...

While the old "organic" jute stuff did breathe, I imagine it would also absorb and retain moisture, which is often present inside doors due to condensation or rain getting past the side sweeps...???

I have a piece of the aluminum pad under the rear seat board of which is directly over top of the transmission of my Amphicar. Been there one season and still looks like new even from the extreme heat and vibration. Before installing this you could not even set on the rear seat as it would give your #ss that hamburger on the grill feel. ooo.gif

Both type materials may draw moisture however if you properly protect the metal with products like POR-15 you will never have to worry about water or moisture. Either way you go it will probably be fine for your application. Good luck!

I have looked for a similar material when I restored my VW. Under the trunk liner was a "tar board" sort of material. It appeared to be almost a sawdust with long fiber strands all mixed together with tar and rolled flat. It was about 3/8 to 1/2" thick. Looked every where. I found a fellow that made Porsche parts in the Cincinnati area, Trevor Marshal that had a very small amount and would not give it up to be used in a VW frown.gif I used the foil backed material where it was hidden completly, and some seat padding material sprayed with 3M under coating where it was partially visible, worked OK but I am still looking for the right stuff.