felt end seals

dwollam

Where can I obtain felt to make the end seals for the oil pan on my DB Fours? The cork is easy but can't seem to locate felt.

I know I can buy gasket sets but I have several to do and would like to make my own.

Thanks guys,

Dave Wollam

I looked in my catelog, I know what you mean about lots of differant types. McCarr has an excellant support staff. If you can ask a question, they will answer it. I've dealt with them for years and have been very pleased. They will even find products not in their catelog, if you need. Describe the use, I'm ssure they can make a recommendation.

Hi Dave,

It's a whole lot easier to just go down to your favorite sporting goods store and get a pair of felt boot liners or insoles of the thickness you want. Then you can cut them into any shape you want. It worked great for me.

Larry

Larry, that sounds easy enough. However all I've been able to find is about a quarter inch thick. That isn't enough is it? How thick are they supposed to be? I measured 3/8" wide and guessed 1/2" thick. Is that correct?

Also is the white felt better than grey or black?

Dave

The insoles I bought were grey and about 3/8" thick. I used them for the bell housing-to-pan joint and glued them in with silicone. The felt shouldn't see much if any oil there, and I don't believe engine oil or the temperatures that it will see will damage it anyway. I used black silicone for the rear main seal (no felt). I simply filled the groove with an ample amount of silicone to fill the void between the main bearing cap and the pan and put it together. This technique works well on Model T's (doghouse to block)and A's (main brg seal), so it should work well on DB's, also.

Larry