Amphicar Restoration Pictures

Ron Green

I thought I would share some pictures I just found of which is probably my last vehicle restoration. I am doing this in stages so it can be used during the summer. It is being restored as a nice driver and won't be judged in shows but will be trailered long distance since top speed is a issue.

Winter of 2003 the engine compartment was done with mechanicals rebuilt (less 5,748 mile original engine), bilge compartment restored, dash fixed and painted and a new top installed.

Winter of 2004 the complete underside is being painted (miserable job), new drive axles and transmission seals and recondition prop shafts.

Winter of 2005 restore the front trunk area.

Winter of 2006 replace 2 rear quarter panels, exterior paint and new interior.

Attachment shows engine compartment before I started, good god!

Here is an attachment of the transmission. It is both a land and water unit. You can see the top piece with the prop drive shafts is the water unit with the bottom being the land transmission. These were built by Hermes who I believe also builds Porsche transmissions. The rear seat sits directly over top.

Attachment shows all the knobs and controls required to operate this car. It has a bilge pump, bilge blower, front & rear marine lights, boat horn, hand thottle control when using as boat, etc. This dash had a hole the size of your fist before I restored it.

Guest Skyking

Nice neat job Ron, looks like a fun car.....People ask me if my Metropolitan goes in the water also, I tell them only when it rains....... grin.gif

Jay, thanks for posting the pictures. You had your work cut out to bring this one back. Twenty years ago parts were a lot harder to find, though still expensive. There are a lot of parts for such a small car and as you know some better work or be adjusted correctly when taking a long trip out in the water.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They fit '56 to '61 VW's</div></div>

While they look and fit similar they are not the same. The VW horn button has the Wolfsburg castle and the Amphicar button has Luebeck (SP?) gate. Trivial but, I just wanted to have the correct info available.

Ron's Amphi is a beauty indeed! The pictures do not do it justice.