What trans fluid for '60s?

jrbartlett

What transmission fluid are you guys using for '60s Buicks -- specificly a '66 Riviera? I'm told that the old Type A is no longer made, and that Mercon is an acceptable substitute. What are you using in your cars? Are you mixing the fluids together, or draining all the old fluid and starting from scratch? Any seal leakage issues as a result?

Guest 70 Electra

Use GM Dexron III. It's suitable for all Dexron & Dexron II applications, as well as Type A. Don't use Mercon.

(I thought by 66, the THM 400 recommended Dexron, anyway, not type A. If I remember right, my 66 Caprice with Powerglide originally called for type A, while my 66 Impala 396 w/ THM400 called for Dexron.)

As I recall, anything built in the middle 1960s will work just fine with any Dexron (of which the latest version is Dexron III). The original Dexron did replace Type A and the later Dexron II, IIE, and III variations are the latest upgrades of that fluid spec.

Dexron III and Mercon are usually sold as the same thing (marked "Dexron III/Mercon on the label for the "aftermarket" and oil company brands). But there is a Mercon V that is for the latest Ford vehicles that is NOT tagged with any Dexron nomelclature.

Enjoy!

NTX5467