Continental Flyer

Guest imported_Gordon Handy

Guest imported_Gordon Handy

I have recently purchased a Continental Flyer car, built in 1933 in Ohio. I believe the company went out of business during the depression.Can anyone give me any more information on the company and if many of these cars are still going? This car is powered with the six cylinder flat top continental engine and is a lovely old runner [color:\\"blue\\"]

Gordon: Here is the information you have requested. Continental located in grand Rapids Michigan 1933 to 1934. The Continental began life as the De Vaux in 1932 the firm went out of business and Continental Motors Corporation stepped in and continued to build a revised version fo the De Vaux. Continental was produced from 1932 till 1934. In 1933 they produced three different models the Beacon 4 cylinder, the Flyer 6 cylinder model rated at 65 horse power and had a wheel base 107 inches, the other model was the Ace 6 cylinder rated at 85 horse power and had a wheel base of 114 inches. I hope this is the information that you are looking for.

The Continental Automobile Company lasted all of two years, viz.: 1933 and 1934. Using Continental six and four cylinder engines of modest displacement and power (143 cubic inches and 38 H.P. for its four cylinder model). There were three 1933 models: Beacon 4, Flyer 6 and the top of the line Ace. I believe all had the same short wheelbase of 101 inches. Caveat: rarity does not equal value unless coupled with demand. This is definately not a Classic as defined by the CCCA but would be of much interest at almost any car show. Enjoy your new car.

Gordon: The total production for the Continental for 1933 was 3,310 cars. There were four models produced of the Flyer in 1933. A 2 passenger roadster selling for $450.00, commercial coupe price $490.00, two door sedan price $510.00, and four door sedan price $535.00.

• 5 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Gordon: Are you interested in a spare tail light lens for your Continental? I have a nice one with the Continental name lettered in the glass. You could e-mail me directly at mdracine@comcast.net as I'm having a little trouble finding old posts on the forums...Mike

Gordon: I'm kind of new at this, and I posted a quick reply, but somehow it didn't show up in the forum, so I'll try a different tack: I'm wondering if you'd be interested in a spare tail light lens for your Continental. I have a really nice one with the Continental lettering in the glass. Since I seem to be having trouble with the forum structure, perhaps you could just e-mail your response to mdracine@comcast.net?...Mike

• 3 months later...

g'day . I know of a 1933 contenintal flyer that was built in a city called adelaide in south australia that just happens to be one of the 3310 contenintals built in that year.It was marketed and sold in the major cities of australia.The flyer i speak of is the only known fully restored flyer in all of western australia.I have a market poster of this car for sale in australia which i would be happy to try and send .Also if you like i will post some pictures of the restored flyer itself.This car has been retored since 1984 and still sits in beautiful condition in Perth,in western australia. I look forward your to reply.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest deecee
g'day . I know of a 1933 contenintal flyer that was built in a city called adelaide in south australia that just happens to be one of the 3310 contenintals built in that year.It was marketed and sold in the major cities of australia.The flyer i speak of is the only known fully restored flyer in all of western australia.I have a market poster of this car for sale in australia which i would be happy to try and send .Also if you like i will post some pictures of the restored flyer itself.This car has been retored since 1984 and still sits in beautiful condition in Perth,in western australia. I look forward your to reply.

Mate, I'm in North Queensland, Australia and we have a complete Continental Flyer for restoration. It is currently in pieces with the chassis restored and suspension parts ready to bolt on. We also have the engine in the process of restoration.

I see where you have a market poster for this model. Could you let me know if it is still available, price etc.

Also, do you have a contact for the car in WA?

You could email me direct at dcjc@westnet.com.au

I have discovered through my research that the Australian cars are different than the NZ cars and the others that were sent around the world.

The Australian Continentals were just a running chassis with fenders, shipped to T.J. Richards to be bodied by them to comply with AU local content law.

The Richard's bodies were sheet metal over a wood buck while the Hayes bodies were all steel. The Richards bodies had three hinges per door while the Hayes had two. The door handles on the Richards bodies are on the accentuated body line while Hayes bodies had them on the flats of the doors. The AU version had two body lines across the back where the US version only had one.

Here's a thread I started on "Ozrodders" where KiwiPaul has an unrestored Flyer.

Guest deecee

Barry, Thanks for your reply and the info. We are very keen to learn all we can about the Flyer we have. I would like to send you some pics of the car's restoration process. I don't know how to post pictures on this site, but if you email me (dcjc@westnet.com.au) I could email some to you.

Does anyone have an email contact for dannyboypc76? I would like to contact him about that poster he has (had).

DeeCee forwarded these pictures to me of a very rare find, indeed. It is an Australian bodied Continental Flyer phaeton. That body style was not offered in the US. Only a Roadster was offered. Out of contrast with the other offerings, this car had conventionally hinged door.

In order to avoid steep import taxes the Continetal cars complete, less the passenger compartment, were shipped in and bodied by T. J. Richards, who made and industry out of putting bodies on foreign makes as Australia had no auto industry of their own. T. J Richards also specialized in assembling total knockdown kits from all US manufacturers due to big tarrifs on complete cars.

The chassis is the same as my car. Note the rear suspension.

Here's the Australian newspaper advertisement.

article22202308-3-001.jpg

The car in the barn at Herberton Historic Village, Herberton, North Queensland.

FlyerandPackard.jpg

Torn down for restoration.

flyerbody.jpg

Check out the rear suspension. I've had mine completely apart. It's brilliantly simple.

chassisandbody.jpg

Flyerchassis.jpg

Original C-600 Continental engine.

continentalengine.jpg

Guest deecee

Barry,

Thank you for posting the pics of the Flyer. As you can see, there is a lot of work left to do.

I know that sourcing parts for this car is a daunting prospect, but following is a list of parts we would like to get hold of.

Really need:

Hood mascot and base - repaired, repro, whatever.

Front and rear dampers

One headlight glass

Tail light lens

Would like to have:

Brake cable assembly

Original carburettor

Air cleaner assembly

Intake/Exhaust manifold (ours has been welded at some stage)

Any wheel spokes

A spare wheel would be nice

Windscreen frame (ours is dodgy but possibly repairable)

Wiper motor

Running board overlay

Spark plugs (aircraft type??)

If anyone can help with any of these things, my email is dcjc@westnet.com.au

Darryl,

Daryl has a broken one and I'd offer my hood ornament for reproduction.

Shock absorbers were Monroe and were used on a bunch of different cars. They are also very simple to rebuild. They just need o-rings as new seals. Rubber inserts are available from Steele. I used AW-32 hydraulic fluid, which is a 10 weight.

Your headlights do not appear to be original. I can get you a maker's name from mine.

I think I bought the last tail light lens in existence, but standard plain lenses work fine.

The brake cables were by Steeldraulics and were also used on numerous cars.

The carb is a Model B Holley Correction---Marvel Model B

I don't think you'll find a manifold. I had mine brazed and then had the flanges ground flat. I did find a place (Olson's) that has the manifold gasket.

Any air cleaner assembly that has a 2 1/4" neck will work as long as it has a flat bottom. Good luck finding an original. You'll need to find one with a flat bottom so that the crankcase tube off the distributor housing has some place to return crankcase gasses. No draft tube.

I have lots of spokes. Let me know what you need.

The windshield frame is AU specific. No help from us. Was probably used on other T.J. Richard's cars.

The wiper motor is a standard vacuum motor used on other vehicles.

Can't help on the running boards.

Spark plugs are standard D-21 Champion. The original D-18's run a little cool for today's fuels.

I also found a good material for a new front seal. It's a plumbing packing material that allow you to remove individual threads until the fit is just right.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Barry Wolk (see edit history)

wow that flyer open car looks really great,even though the body was australian built it would look good across the pond,i have some friends in australia and they send me photos from time to time of some really great cars,also seems like there not afraid to undertake a tough resto, (bernie) looks like a continental convertible may appear afterall, hope so,also everyone keep there eye open for a devaux open car at this point i dont care if its american or from oz,or south america or where ever,help find one, barry good luck with the continental just dave

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 7/16/2015 at 12:33 AM, dannyboypc76 said:

Hi Barry, I believe that you may have been looking for this. They were obviously sold in Australia despite some believing they were never made.

post-110465-0-33113100-1437021023_thumb.

Cool find. I knew that there were Roadsters bodied in Australia. Have yet to find a photo of a US version. I'm sure they were made as they would have been the price leader in hard times.

• Like 1