Off subject, but I value your opinions

I'm thinking about buying a more modern car for a second car. I was thinking about late-80's Mustangs, but then I looked at the prices for 80's Jaguar XJS's. I have seen V12 equipped ones selling for less than $5000. The XJS is the two-door model. I think that they are the philosophical equivilant of my 71 Riv. Does anyone know anything about these cars or had any experience's with them. I know how to do maintenance and repairs, I'm just afraid of a car that will leave me stranded, which I'm afraid my Riviera has done too many times.<P>Would it be cheaper to insure than a Mustang?

My brother passed away recently, and his family asked me if I wanted his 1986 Jag, which is the 6 cylinder 4 door model.<P>With all due thankfulness, I quickly declined, and advised them to try to get a quick 4K for it. Take less if anyone offers it.<P>Nice looking car and sounds OK, but between the constant mechanical expenses, and the extensive rust repair it has needed, there is no way I would take it.<P>These cars had atrocious quality/repair ratings and ruined Jaguar as an independent manufacturer. That's why they can be bought at such low prices now.

A close friend in Florida had a beautiful '80s V-12 roadster which began to give him SERIOUS mechanical probelms last spring. shocked.gif" border="0 He had it for about 4-5 years after buying it very reasonably from a neighbor.<P>The upshot of it all was that it was going to cost about 6K to make it roadworthy and safe again and it was worth only about 5K on the resale market. shocked.gif" border="0 He asked my advice and I suggested that he try to sell it as a mechanic's special since a roadster in Florida is saleable. Last month he told me he traded it in on something for his wife. The dealer allowed him about 4K and he was darned glad to be out from under it.<P>Last week his neighbor asked where the Jag was and when told about its problems replied, "I figured that would eventually happen. That's why I sold it to you as cheap as I did."<P>MORAL: Don't buy an '80s Jaguar, especially a V-12. rolleyes.gif" border="0 ~ hvs

Nice cars but engine parts and repair is expensive and not just anyone will work on them.I have a freind that has converted several to 350 chevy engines and the owners loved it.

I've always liked the looks of Jags, and thought about buying a new one at one time. But then I started reading up on the quality problems, and I gradually let the idea of owning one go on down the road. There's an old joke that goes "the purpose of the glove box in a Jag is to hold the parts that fall off the car". Enough said. I still admire the looks of Jags though, and I always will.

Guest oldtimer

they suck. electrical, mechanical, parts are expensive and so is the labor. if you don't know a tech. you will soon enough. the REALLY SAD (and scary) part is when ford bought them out the quality went up..................

Tom,<P>Those that have already responded have pretty well said it all. One thing to remember you are probably looking at a good non-rusted California car so it is better than average and yet the price is low enough that it is tempting. There is a reason for the price being so low. As you are considering an import I'd say an early Lexus LS400 might not be too expensive and quite a good ride but would suggest that if you want good solid transportation (but not exciting) see if you can't find a 94-95 LeSabre. The 3800 V6 is a really fine engine and performance isn't bad with great freeway mileage. If you can find one with the handling package the car is actually fairly nimble to boot.<P>The Mustang would be too small for my taste but perhaps not yours.<P>Good luck, Gene

Why is it everyone I know with a Jaguar of this vintage put a Chevy drivetrain in it?<BR>Then you have looks & reliability. Why is it there is a company in Texas that does just that? What are the two happiest days of a Jaguar owner's life? The day they buy it and the day they sell it! <BR>Lucas - Prince of Darkness

Guest Shaffer

Structurally, these cars are built very well, and are made with metal. However, the electrical systems are poor. Most people convert the 6cyl models to Chevrolet V-8, as it is a fairly easy conversion. My uncle in NC bought a 1982 Jaguar XJ6 4dr, but it had already been converted with a Corvette 400 engine. He had only bought the car to resell, but I drove the car once and it was a very nice handling car. If you can get a good price on one, it would be OK I think. On a different note, I know of someone else who has/had a 1989 XJ6 4dr, with the original engine and he said he had never had any problems aven after 150,000 miles and 11 years. Good luck. <P>Tony<BR>72 Buick Electra<BR>89 Pontiac Safari<BR>91 Honda Accord

Guest Shaffer

Someone mentioned a Lexus LS 400 here. That would be a good buy. These cars are built like bank vaults and are very reliable. My aunt in NC has one with now over 100K and it still runs like new and it is still tight and 100% rattle and squeak free. They have bullet proof engines, good electrical systems (rare for a luxury car) and rate high in safety. They hold their condition well and a 1990 still does not look outdated. On the negative side- parts costs are expensive. <P>Tony<BR>72 Buick Electra<BR>89 Pontiac Safari<BR>91 Honda Accord<p>[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Tom<P>I bought a 1998 Jaguar Vanden Plas. It's the extended wheelbase version of the XJ8, with an upgraded interior.<P>I LOVE IT. I rides great, performs well, is engineered well, and is fast.<P>It came with a 100,000 mile or 5 yr warranty.<BR>I did buy it from a Jaguar dealer.<P>Yes I've had a few problems, but they were all under warranty and minor.<P>Everybody told me not to buy a Jag., or I would need two of them, as one would always be in the shop.<P>Jaguar did have a bad reputation, however since Ford bought them in 1989, they have improved everything.<P>0-60 in 6.7 sec, 15.3 in the quarter mile.<P>1998 was the first year for the new V8. I'm not sure about the older ones. I have heard <BR>nightmare stories.<P>The Lincoln dealer told me that Lincoln wanted that same V8 but Jag. would not give it to them.<P>Anyway I like my car.<P>Scott Mich BCA # 6619<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Chicagolnd Chapter<BR>1955-76C<BR>1959 Olds SS-88<p>[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: scott mich bca # 6619 ]

Hmmm... So basically I should wait till I make my first million before buying a $5000 Jag. wink.gif" border="0frown.gif" border="0 <BR> Thanks for all the imput. I get the feeling that I can't afford the risk of buying a Jag. I think I will look into a Lexus. Maybe a SC 300/400. I agree that the LeSabre's a good car, but I want a car that can power-slide/fishtail. So I need RWD. I think thats the most fun you can have in a car while its moving.

If what you are looking for is raw power,look no further than the 70-72 GS 455 stage 1 !! They can smoke the tires and with a little tinkering will run low 13 quarter mile times.I have one with a 200-4R overdrive that runs low 13s and pulls 17-18 MPG on the highway. With decent tires,they will ride and corner quite well. wink.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0

I see you live in CA....I would die for that kind of weather all year round. While the wife drives a '97 Pont Transport (will never get her convinced of the reliability of the older cars....), and I drive an '86 Ranger 4x4 V6 most of the bad whether time, I did drive my '67 Ford Wagon (oops...did the fact that I have a Ford slip out ???...) as my everyday car back and forth to work, to my parents in OH, etc....and it worked well except for some few times (3 over 2 years) where starter went, or something dumb on my part, and had to be trailered. Truthfully, I try to get my old cars into my everyday routine as much as possible (the '49 Buick, '70 Caddy conv, and '73 Century GS are still awaiting restoration to get into the thck of it...). Since with ANY used or new car, you know SOMETHING will go wrong that will put it in the garage or dealers soooner or later...why not make it an older car and like the Old Guy said...have more fun with it, more smiles per mile, and MUCH more attention smile.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0