Just got my 89 silver reatta

fatboy

Well i just got mine the other day. I got it for 1600. Theres a lil misperfections but its still nice. Like when i drive away, says the parking brake is still on and the sreen wont come on as soon as i turn the car on. But the over all the body looks good and the interior looks good. grey on the oustide and grey on the inside. I have seen one little tear in the leather. I wish i had the cd plaer and sunroof. Is there any way i could put a after market cd player in it? And what can i do bout the screen andthe breaks? Also my anti-lock light and my ABS light is staying on. What can i do about that? [color:\\"red\\"]

Go HERE take the break test, Now you have it home, be very carefull, When the brakes go they go, very dangerous situation. The previous link is part ot www.reatta.net between it and this forum most any question can be answered. Once again, both brake lights on is VERY dangerous. The yellow ABS light isn't good, but you do have brakes. Take the break test at the included link.

Post results and you'll get diagnosis.

Welcome! I hope you stay with us, but you need to get that brake system corrected, or the car may not be with you long. If you still have brake boost take the car to a safe area with a lot of runout room, disconnect the power to the booster pump, pump the brakes until the residual boost pressure is gone (the pedal will get very hard). Accelerate to a low speed and try stopping the car. You will see what a difference it makes to try to stop the car without help.

An 89 is almost certainly going to need to have the brake accumulator replaced (about $100 and as easy to change as an oil filter). That said, when driving how do the brakes feel ? Like a power brake or much harder. Also if you turn the key on and do not touch the brake pedal, do the lights go off eventually (within a minute) ? Is the motor running constantly ?

The good news is that both lights on means a problem in the boost system (motor, switch, accumulator, relay) and not necessarily the ABS unit (the module in the trunk). The bad news is the fix can be as cheap as a $10 relay or require a rebuilt unit ( Prior ). I do not know what the current price is on a reman unit but probably under $600.

The other alternative is to replace the TEVES with a conventional Riviera power brake. The most difficult part of this is running a fourth brake line to the back. Has anyone tried using an earlier 3 line proportioning valve such as for a 79 TransAm with 4 wheel disks ?

When i drive it, the break feel fine tho. I mean they feel like the car can stop on a dime if it had to. But keep in mind i am only 17 and i only make $120 a week. So i am goin to try and go the cheap way. Also my service engine light is coming on. It says something about electronics. What could that possibly be?

Fatboy, as a fellow young (21) Reatta owner you MAY want to cut your losses now. A Reatta turned out to be a very costly decsion for me and wasn't a good choice of a car at this stage of my life. Sure it's a great, unique car and I'm glad to have it BUT if you are planning on college, an appartment, or whatever the car could become a costly burden. I can't really afford to maintain mine and haven't got to put a dime into the cosmetics yet and I'll prob. Most owners here are retired or have decent jobs and can put the money into the car that it deserves but on $120 a week + insurance + any other costs you may have it could be difficult to won a Reatta. Just my personal opinion based on my experience, not trying to sound like someone's daddy.

Well in many cases you can substitute learning for money but you need to know exactly what your problems are and the only way to do that is with a factory service manual (it helps to be the type who enjoys reading service manuals).

Good news is that 1) the complete service manual is available for download and 2) it fits on a CD (actually both manuals, the Parts book, and the TSBs all fit on a CD) so does not need to cost anything.

Do need to know what the lights are doing to help more. Turn the key on and what happens ? A minute later ? (do not touch brake pedal while waiting).

See www.reatta.net

My 258,000 mile 88 Reatta is parked because a friend was driving it and said the dash and power went out all of the sudden, I said it might be the brakes, better park it, I said. I have had this car since 92,000 miles so put a lot of miles on it all over the country, can't ask for a better road cruiser, I think I will fix the brakes (accumulator or whatever) since it doesn't used much oil as I used Teflon oil treatment a couple times and I've grown attached to Ole Tater. Even though the 16-way suede power seat is worn and it has the usual Reatta problems, hell, I have a factory manual and I'm a halfways decent shade tree mechanic, you're gonna hafta offer a lot more than those Ebay yahoos are giving for MY REATTA to get it away from me! Sheeeeit, I'll watch it rust away (not likely for galvanized) and part it out before I put it on Ebay, pay no attention to my ealier posts of it for sale! I have seen the light, I'm a die freakin hard Reatta fanatic, what is it Larry the Cable guy says? Get her done? or sumpin like that? Ole Tater and I go back to 2001 when she was showing 72,000 miles and I paid $9,000 for her, what a deal for a $28,000 hand built car!! Getting rid of her would be like selling a family member, I think I'm gonna drive her to work tomorrow and take my chances with the brakes, hehe.

GO REATTA, VIVE LA REATTA!!! (Famous last words, I am a redneck now lol?) YEEHAW! laugh.gif

In answer to your question about cd player, the only way I can see to add one is a cd changer with fm modulator remotely located; best location seems to be trunk. A full time hot wire is available at the antenna. Anybody know if there's an ignition switched hot wire anywhere in the trunk?

I am thinking about taking it to circuit city and have them instal a 6 disc cd changer, cause my friend has a system he is goin to sell me for $250. It has every thing except a speaker box. 2 12's ( 400 watts each ) a 8000 watt amp and all the wiring for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Definately going to buy some hearing aid company stock, prolly Phonak. </div></div>

Come om Padgett

confused.gifCan't you remember whem you were young or is it too far back?

I stremember going down the Fl Pike @ 80 with the top down and the radio blaring.

Oh wait, that wasn't that long ago, it was yesterday.

Arnie