Chroming bumpers for a 55-76R

I have been unable to find anyone in my area to rechrome both my fromt and rear bumpers. They are in good shape except for small amount ofrust on year and also in the scoops on the front. Two Midwest chrome people have been hihly recommended to me but oe wants $2200 and the other won't give me a "ball park" unless he has the bumpers. Counting the shipping, this is in the area of $2400. Does this not seem excessive. What has your plating cost recently. Advice will be appreciated.

Check the thread lower on down the line on this message board. There are numerous places recommended to go to, and if nothing else, give them a call to get some ballpark figures. I would think that a place that has been doing plating would have a pretty good handle on prices for various models bumpers - at least that's what I would expect , maybe I'm wrong ?

My brother owns a plating shop and has done 3, 55 Buicks this year. The price for the front and rear bumpers complete (bumpers, corners and bumperettes) is $1800 USD for show quality. This is not the average bumpershop job. It included one hour of repair per bumper and one hour for the corners and bumperettes. He's located in Abbotsford BC Canada 2 miles from the US/Can border and has shipped Ups all over the US. He also has a US address. The savings are because of the weak Canadian dollar. Quality cannot be sacrificed.<P>Email me if you need his Phone no:<P>pcdejong@uniserve.com<P>604 556 4225<P>I sent some bumpers for him to Mass and the shipping was around a $100<p>[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: Peter de Jong ]

Guest Skyking

WOW ! looking at those prices scare me for 55's. When I restored my 55 Special in 1979 I bought N.O.S. front & rear bumpers at Hershey for $50.00 each. I think all the chrome cost a total of $300.00. That was everthing N.O.S. but the portholes. The front bullets were $8.00 each. Back then it was actually fun...........

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

I have highly recommended The Finishing Touch before on this board. They have done 3 cars of mine very well.<P>The price depends on the condition of the original piece, and the shop rate of the individual shop.<P>On my 1955 Roadmaster the front bumper alone was $415. Grill bar extensions were $97 ea.<P>Upper & lower frame rails (the wrap around parts of the bumpers) were $140 ea x 4.<P>The grill was $ 390, the grill bar (moustache) $260.<P>The bumper gravel shield, ( the part on top of the bumper approx 3" wide the lenght of the bumper) $95, and the two eyebrows were $20ea.<P>This was everything except the dagmars.<P>As you can see it is a bit costly, and my original parts were not pitted or dented, just worn. Worse condition parts require more prep work.<P>This was approx. $1760.<P>Check out their web site <A HREF="http://www.thefinishingtouchinc.com," TARGET=_blank>www.thefinishingtouchinc.com,</A> or call Mark at 800-403-4545, and mention my name.<P>They do give a 5% club discount. The advertise in the Bugle and the Chicagoland Chapter's local newsletter.<P>The back bumper would be a lot less as it does not have all that extra stuff on it, maybe $500 if it is in good shape now.<P>I can vouch for thier quality, and honesty.<P>Scott Mich BCA # 6619<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Chicagoland Chapter<BR>1955-76C<BR>1959 Olds-SS-88<BR>1986 Century

Just a note:<P>I have had many conversations regarding chrome plating costs. The guys that have rod shops and build cars profesionally are not worried about the cost (within reason) versus the quality. They understand the difference between a 5k paint job and a 10k one. It's the preperation that counts. The unfortunate thing about chroming is that you can'nt use fillers and hide anything. The chrome reflects any imperfection in the metal. The polishing is the key or 80%. I've seen a lot of butchered parts or they just don't fit. I know of some shops that belt the parts as a shortcut. This heats the part up and warps it. I've seen many polishers who say they can polish but few are artisans. It's an art.<P>A quality shop does extra work to get a show finish. That's why a bumper can range from $250 to $400. Why the difference in price? For the extra $150 the bumper is acid coppered for the mirror shine this involves putting the bumper in the acid copper tank and polishing it after. Then the bumper is nickled for at least 45 minutes then chromed. The differance is a $250 bumper looks like tinfoil and a $400 bumper looks like a mirror. There is no excuse for flaking as it is bad preperation or the nickel is to hard.<P>The recent price increase is due to the increased cost of nickel and fuel costs. The chrome tank must be heated to 100f and the nickel tank to 140f. <P>Look at price for paint jobs. Materials have gone up and we expect more in the way of a polished out paint job.<P>Big Buicks are'nt the cheapest car to do, but they sure look good. Imagine what it costs to do a 58 buick!!<P>Cheers <P>Peter de Jong<P>pcdejong@uniserve.com<BR>Checkout fvplating.com

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Awbe<P>I just spoke to Finishing Touch.... The will do bumpers, if the are two or three piece.<P>They will do the smaller ones, but not the large ones, as their tank is too small.<P>They can do the ones that can be disassembled. Otherwise what they told me they do, and have done in the past is that they send the big bumpers out to AIH, in Iowa.<P>Aparently, AIH did the bumpers on my '53 & '55 thru Finishing touch. Finishing Touch did the prep work, AIH did the plating. They did a great job anyway, still a full warranty.<P>You can go to AIH directly, I have heard good things about AIH.<P>AIH picks up weekly from Finishing Touch, so if you send all your stuff to Finishing Touch, you can still get it all done together.<P>Scott Mich BCA # 6619<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Chicagoland Chapter<BR>1955-76C<BR>1959 Olds SS-88

• 10 years later...

Nice convertable! :-)

I was being a bit facetious about the container but you know what? If someone here on the forum was involved in internationl trade of one sort or another and has access to a container or a partial, maybe it WOULD be something to consider, not necessarily to Russia.

Which brings up the question of what issues would be involved with a chrome plating shop over the border in Mexico? Aside from the civil unrest happening in the border towns, I wonder if this might be a viable alternative.

Ralph

Try Keystone Plating in Brainard, Minnesota.

(218) 829-4063

I was introduced to them by a nationally-known concours restorer. I did two magazine stories with them following their entire process.

They do OE chrome for bumpers (dodge trucks, for instance), and they have a whole section of the facility dedicated to straightening and repairing classic car bumpers.

Their prices are VERY inexpensive.

I had the rear bumper done for my '61 Suburban a few years ago... Both ends were bent in until they touched the quarter panels, the whole thing was twistied radially about 15-20 degrees, it had several holes in it for bumper-style trailer hitches, and a 2-inch torched hold for what I assume was a trailer light plug.

$250 to make it look concourse new.

A friend sent his '57 Ford Ranch Wagon bumpers there, and it was about the same price.

Several years ago, when everyone else was getting $4500 quotes for '59 Caddy front bumpers, they told me it'd be $1500.

I can't vouch for their prices now, but I won't send any of my bumpers anywhere else. Ever.

Give 'em a call.

-Brad