'54 322 won't start

The thing has been running fine all summer until I started driving it less. First it started harder, now not at all. I try it about once a week or so.<P>There is spark from the coil, and gas out of the fuel line. It just cranks and cranks until I smell fuel, then I quit. <P>I hold the choke open too, but no improvment in the situation? <BR> <BR>What do you think? Bad points? Stuck float?<BR>Does this car have starting quirks I should know about?<P>Thanks

You have spark from the coil, but do you have spark at the plug?? If the rotor or the cap is bad,you may find that is the problem. If you have a spare plug or a small long bladed screw driver ,put it in in place of one of the plugs on the engine. If it is a plug, ground it to someplace on the block and see if it fires. If it doesn't , check the rotor for a problem and the cap for carbon tracking. when using a screw driver ,place the blade close to a ground and see if a spark jumps.

Here's another possibiltiy: check the bolt on the hold down clamp of the distributor. I've seen it already where the bolt comes loose just enough to let the distributor rotate a little bit, and eventually the timing is so far off that it won't start. And it's a gradual thing.<BR>-Brad

thanks for the advice. there is spark at the one plug I pulled, though don't know how to tell if its enough or if its coming on time, and the distributor seems tight.<P>next?

I just worked on a friends truck that had the same problem ,and I replaced the plugs and it fired right up.If you want to check the timing, pull the number one plug ,put you finger over the hole and bump the starter. When compression blows your finger out of the hole,bring the timing mark up to the mark and pull the distributor cap. If the engine is in time,the rotor will be pointing at the wire to the number one <BR>plug smile.gifsmile.gif

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Bruce,<P>I would check the timing also. Another way to check the timing on a car that will not start, is to mark the distributor exactly where is is now, and loosen the bolt. and turn it slightly in either direction while you are cranking it.<P>Other possiblilties... cap, rotor, ponints,or if you have another coil, try it.<P>You have to detremine if it is gas or electrical. Try some starting fluid (carefully). If it fires up, you can then rule out electrical.<P>If not, make sure the gas if fresh, the gas filter is clean. If you have one of these metal pancake ones, take it off and clean it out. Sometimes they get pluged. Could be a weak fuel pump.<P>Good Luck<BR>Scott Mich BCA # 6619<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Chicagoland Chapter<BR>1955 -76C<BR>1959 Olds SS-88

Is there an easy way to tell if I my coil or fuel pump is weak? I'm talking backyard mechanic stuff here, not the application of test equipment, unless I could remove the components and take them to someone who could perform the tests off the car.<P>Thanks

-Check to make sure points are set right<BR>-Check all electrical resistances,etc. per the manual too<BR>-Check to see that fuel is squirting out of the jets in the carb while you pull on the throttle linkage (WHILE THE CAR IS NOT RUNNING AND TURNED OFF ! )<BR>-Pull the fuel line off the carb, run it into a cup or bowl ; crank the engine and see if fuel is squirting out (pull the coil wire to make sure it doesn't start whiile doing this..)<BR>-As long as you have fuel in the bowl, the pump is probably ok - though check your fuel lines for even small leaks - it could be sucking air in addition to fuel<BR>-My dad wound up getting rid of a car because (even after a bunch of friend mechanics looked at it) it wouldn't start - we had spark, timing was roughly correct, had fuel out of the carb, etc...turned out the plug wires were just bad enough to get out spark...but not enough. The next owner couldn't get it to start, sold it, and that guy replace the plug wires and PRESTO - it started. (LESSON - DON'T TAKE ANYTHING FOR GRANTED )

Had this problem and did everything mentioned, by accident i found the problem. the negative wire coming from the coil to the distributor is split, on my 56 322. the wire connects at the distributor and than there is a small wire that continues on inside under the cap to the points. replacing that wire solved my problem.

Before I got my hands dirty I thought I would invest in a can of starting fluid. A couple sprays and restarts later the car is running great. Go figga.