speedo readout flickering

knjake

My 68,000 mi 1988 Reatta speedo & odometer have started to flicker, once car is moving you are able to read speed but amidst flicker, when car is not moving it's just one unreadable flicker although flicker probably is not the correct description, the lighted horizontal & vertical bars that make up the readout go on and off and not all together at once but randomly, this begins once car is started or door is opened and never stops. Kinda looks like the light flashes associated w/migraine.....ouch! Anyone have the solution to this migraine?

Guest wally888

I currently have an intermittant IPC problem. Sets code b336h. Do you have a code? Can you enter diagnostics when the problem occurs/when no problem?

Trim and IPC are easy to remove-clean contacts-might work for you?

I may be off base re. your problem but until the more educated respond........

Is the whole display doing this? The Clock and Fuel gauge? This entire display is nothing but a circuit board. It sounds to me as if a connection is loose, or more likely, one of the micropaths on the board is cracked. The good news, this board does not store any information, its only a display. You might remove the board and check the connections and the wiring. I don't think the problem is in any of the computers. The display is NLA, but our Reatta friend, Jim Finn has a number of parts cars, and I bet he has one the is reasonable priced. Howard

Guest Reatta1

Your IPC is seperate from the computer readout screen. Do you get any 'communications problem detected' message? Suspect your problem is simply a loose or corroded connection to the IPC. I'd check that first.

Start at the source... the connection at the transmission could be damp, damaged, loose, etc. There is a device at the transmission that changes the output to a electrical signal. I have never heard of one going bad, but its worth a look.

Barney & helpful others, I connected and reconnected the VSS and checked for moisture and contact, problem still persists, ck'ed for codes and found: ECM no codes. BCM #122, #123, #482 all 3 "history" and CRTC no codes. The "flicker" is on the, Speedo, odometer, trip odemeter, and the far left digit for the clock, I have not yet gotten into the "DASH".........I do have a 1988 factory service manual (final edition), but understanding parts of it are trying. Thanks for any additional feedback,Jim

That random lighting of things almost sounds like a beserk WOW display. Have you tried disconnecting the battery, waiting a few seconds, when reconnecting the battery ? Should reset almost everything.

If doesn't fix I would suspect noise from either the IPC or BCM. Good news is that the early IPC and BCM are both plentiful.

Padgett, Disconnected batt. @ neg Post for several minutes and cleaned, did not cure, what would next step be.....I'm probably 30/40 min from you just across St. Johns, car drives just fine, if you could be of service would be beholden to you, Jim

• 1 month later...

Padgett, Problem corrected, purchased a used cluster on ebay $39.99 incl freight, 20 min job, when fired up I must of looked like a cat eating baloney (my smile), thanks to one and all for input, a GREAT FORUM!! Merry Christmas to all.