V8 RWD conversion??

DougG

Why would you want to put a 350 in it?!?! Its a BUICK! Not a chevy! If they wanted it a v8, they would have stuck something like the cadillac engines in them. I can see people doing a rwd conversion, but not a v8 please! THE HORROR!

Guest Reatta1

Don't see how you could put a V8 in the Reatta facing front to back without some MAJOR modifications to the hood. crazy.gif A 502 would sure make it an awsome machine! shocked.gif Stack a blower on it and if you could see past it all, wouldn't be nothing touch you! Who's going to be the first to try it? grin.gif

All you need to do is look at the 1989 GM toys and the GN engine Reatta would smoke a 350 V8..... If you want a 350 V8 rear drive, buy a Camaro and modify the body to look like a Reatta, that would be much easier.

I think Barney has it right, keep it Buick and use the GN drivetrain. You can make a good streetable 10-11 second car and it will drive on the street with no one the wiser. If you want raw, use a 455 Buick which weighs little more than a SBC.

DougG,

I think a 350 Chevy in the Reatta sounds like a wild idea!I have 3 cars at home with a 350 chevy engine and they all run great! A 70 chevelle,86 Z28,and a 93 Trans-Am.

The down side is you lose originality by hacking it.

ronvb

If you are really serious I would research some of the old Oldsmobile Racing in the late 80's . Same basic Body. They did a lot of good stuff.

Changing the fuel tank, steering and suspension would be much harder than getting the engine and Trans in.

Put your Reatta up on jack stands. Pop a Budweiser and roll around under the car for a six pack or so .

Good Luck It would be neat but a lot of work.

Since GM apparently did a rwd version, it is probably possible with almost off the shelf parts, although Shelby mentioned some things that are in the way between the engine bay and the rear that don't sound like fun. It would be a pretty good rocket ship if you can do it. The short wheelbase will really help load the rear tires in a straight line.

I was contemplating a Reatta drag car but found that it would be quite expensive to do. Alot of NHRA Super Stock cars are FWD-RWD conversions but I haven't seen a Reatta.

I decided to do a Jag XJS with 455 Buick (620 hp) and Ford 9in. Almost done, doing the wiring now....a pain.

How bout a 215 alum V8 in a Reatta, great handling due to great weight distribution.

Bruce