Dynaflo & Rearend swap out 54/55

Guest imported_MrEarl

Guest imported_MrEarl

OK guys, I need some educated opinions and advice here...

The tranny in my 54 Roadmaster leaks like a submarine with a screen door and the rear end roars like train. I could have them both rebuilt I guess but I am considering swappin them both out for a set up out of a 55 Special. Probaly have a gasket kit put in the tranny and maybe new outer bearings in the rear before installing.

First question- What would be the benefits of the 55 tranny over the 54.I recall hearing that the 55 accelerates faster than the 54? Something about more stator blades or something? And that the 55 tranny is about an inch longer than the 54. Would this give any problem if I also swap out the rear end and tube. Will this work? Will the fact that the 55 tranny is from a 55 Special(264)cause any problems going into a 54 Roadmaster (322). Roberta, if you're there, I think you said you know someone in SC that rebuilds Dynaflows?

Also, is it advisable using used motor mounts and transmission thrust pads when making conversions like this or buy new.

Are there any other threads in the past re this subject?

As usual I'll greatly appreciate all of your knowledgeable opinions and sage advice.

The Roadmaster transmission is longer than the 40 series unit. A guy here in Omaha put a small series transmission in a Super and it looked bad. The rear wheels were too far ahead in the openings. You can put the center portion of one rear end into the other,but check driveshft lengths,rear axle tread widths and spring mountings before proceeding on those.

Guest imported_bjr

The Roadmaster is about 3 inches wider and also has a longer wheelbase than the Special. I'm betting the rear end will be wider and the torque tube longer than the Special. The stators have a different number of vanes in them from the 264 to 322 V8's also. I don't know how that would affect performance of the transmission. Brian

Lamar,

Been there, done that, and it was a great change. Variable pitch on the twin stators in '55 made acceleration in drive much better with the '55 transmission. You will need to use a transmission from the large series because of the length difference (<span style="font-style: italic">although you could salvage the parts needed from your '54 transmission as you would need the output shaft and housing only to lengthen the shorter transmission and I think all would be okay - somebody here can probably advise on this but I don't think there is any other difference between transmissions</span>). You will also need the carb to transmission linkage that will engage the variable pitch (feels sort of like a down-shift) to benefit from the '55 transmission.

Good luck.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Wow, thanks everybody!!! Nothing can beat the first hand knowledge and experience of folks like you that are so willing to help a wanna be Buick grease monkey like me. I read the manual and study the parts books but nothing tells it as good as you guys. And Judd, thanks for the offer on the tranny. I could make it down and back in a day. Now if I could find a good rear end somewhere in between. Actually I need to deliver a goat to Austin, Texas so surely there is something between here and there. wink.gifLet me look into all this a little more and I'll let you know. Actually I am looking at rear a end in North Carolina too. I guess "ideally" what I would like to find is a complete set up from transmission through to rear end from a 55 Super or Roadmaster that I could just drop mine and replace with. Is that right? Or if I can find a rear end, I should be able to use Judds tranny (rebuilt) and my torque tube, torque ball and seal. Is that correct? Ideally I think I would want to find a for sure good complete rear end ie housing, axles and drums. I plan to pull the engine and all in order to clean up and paint underneath the car. I prefer not to have to have a rear end rebuilt as I have heard they can be tougher than the transmission to get just right. Let me know if I'm heading in the right direction here.I want to try to keep it as "simple" as possible.

Marty

Yes but the 56 has the oil cooler in the radiator 55 has cooler on the trans. Maybe he needs a rusty 56 super or roadmaster so he can get the whole 56 drive train? The 56 had bigger exhaust valves and higher compression and the radiator will bolt in the 54 for correct oil cooler.

Judd

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe he needs a rusty 56 super or roadmaster so he can get the whole 56 drive train?</div></div>

Well, I know where I can pick up a Georgia 1956 4 door Super that's all there including a working air-conditioning for maybe $1,600. But I think I want to keep it a little simpler than that as well as not getting too far from original. Plus I think the engine in my 54 Roadmaster is OK. Given that, I think I want to try and find a for sure good rear end to go with Judds tranny. After all you can't beat Judd's price on the tranny wink.gifSo if anyone knows of a for sure good complete rear end, let me know. I suppose I could just swap out the third member (in fact there was one of those rolliing aroud in the Roadmaster trunk when I first got it) but I really don't care to get into a rear end rebuild, do I? And I suppose I could use my axles and drums etc since I might go ahead and replace the bearings anyway?

OK guys, looks like were getting somewhere here. Keep throwing your thoughts at me.

And if anyone is interested in the 56 Super let me know. It is rough, but not a rust bucket. Thanks, again!!!

Mr. Earl

I live just south of Austin and still have a rebuilt 3rd member from a 1955. There is also a recycler close by(John's Salvage: 830-379-2092) that specializes in OLD OLD parts and there are some 54's and 55's small and large series. He may still have the drivetrain from a 55 Super that was running before it was rolled. Let me know if I can help.

Willie

Guest imported_MrEarl

'mornin Judd and Willie,

I'll be delivering the goat to between Buda and Kyle and will be going through Houston to and from. What's in Houston Judd? Uhmm, the attachment looks like the green 54 Special I sewed my wild oats all over Northeast Georgia in back when I got out of the Marines in 71. Had to sell it 3 years later to buy my new wifey a washing machine. That's OK, 30 years, 3 washing machines and same wifey later, I'm getting my Buick(s) back grin.gif Willie, the MPB show different numbers for the 54/55 rear ends so don't know if the third member would work in my 54 or not? I'll give Johns Salvage a call and see what they have. In case it does, wadayagottahavferit? victfarm@bellsouth.net

BTW I recall visiting a pretty nice car museum somewhere between Austin and San Anton on one of my goat buying trips, some rich guy had a pretty nice collection but don't recall many Buicks there, so don't suppose it was yours, eh Willie wink.gif

Thanks guys!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_MrEarl

OK folks, I had about decided to go the route of swapping the transmission, drive shaft and rear end from a 55 Super to my 54 Roadsmater when I was told today by an old timer Dynaflo mechanic that I would have problems with the transmission detent lever or something like that. He said he hadn't worked on one if many years bud did recall that the transmissions were not interchangeable because of that. I have tried to figure out what he was taliking about and yes the master parts books do give different no's for these parts for the two different years. What all will be involved if this is the case. PLEASE don't say it will require exchanging the steering colum. Any thing but that!! I can't find a good illustration of either the 54 or 55 shifting mechanisms anywhere. I will have all the parts from the 55 for the swap out. As always, all help is greatly appreciated!!!

Guest imported_MrEarl

If anyone has the time to reply to this before tomorrow I would greatly appreciate it. The car may not be available after tommorow. My wifey has got me busy painting so I can't be lookin thru parts books any more even if I knew where to look. Plus I haven't broken the news to her that we may have big Morning Glory Planter in the pasture if I do buy it.If I'm not gonna buy it I want to reserve the shocking news to her for another time. tongue.gifwink.gifgrin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK folks, I had about decided to go the route of swapping the transmission, drive shaft and rear end from a 55 Super to my 54 Roadsmater when I was told today by an old timer Dynaflo mechanic that I would have problems with the transmission detent lever or something like that. He said he hadn't worked on one if many years bud did recall that the transmissions were not interchangeable because of that. I have tried to figure out what he was taliking about and yes the master parts books do give different no's for these parts for the two different years. What all will be involved if this is the case. PLEASE don't say it will require exchanging the steering colum. Any thing but that!! I can't find a good illustration of either the 54 or 55 shifting mechanisms anywhere. I will have all the parts from the 55 for the swap out. As always, all help is greatly appreciated!!! </div></div>

The 55 had the first GOOD detent.It is located inside the Dynaflow,and is very positive in its action, The 53's and 54's had a tiny detent just under the steering wheel,and it was so weak that now and then,it allowed the car to drop into"L" accidentally.If you feel you need to remove it,it can be removed after simply removing the steering wheel.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Thanks MrBuick,

I'm sorry I'm not following all of this real well about the detent. I can figure it all out later if I just know that the 55 linkage will hook up to the 54 in some manner and work OK. confused.gif