AMT Masterpiece 1966 Buick Riviera GS

Centurion

I have noted recently that Ebay sellers are listing a new 1/25-scale 1966 Riviera GS, which is described as part of the AMT Masterpiece Collection. The cars are finished in silver with blue interiors, and have detailed engines and chassis with a removable hood. <P>These would appear to be built-up versions of the old '66 Riviera kit, fully painted and finished, including detailed chrome and stainless moldings. Some of the information listed by the Ebay sellers indicate that these cars are a sort of plastic counterpart to the expensive, metal Franklin Mint and Danbury Mint cars. Production of each model in the series is limited to 5,000 copies.<P>Has anyone seen these in the hobby or model shops? Do you know what the prices of these cars are? On Ebay, they are listed in the $20 to $40 range.<P>In comparison, the original 1966 Riviera promos (with hoods that do not open) seem to be commonly available on Ebay in the $30 - $50 range. These cars are finished in a fawn color -- exterior, interior, and chassis.<P>Does anyone know what cars are planned for this series? I notice that '62 Pontiac Catalinas (Super Duty 421 Hardtops) and '62 Chevrolet Impala convertibles are also for sale in this series. Sure would be great if they offer the first style Riviera and the '64 Wildcat, because the original promos for these cars seem to be quite rare and very expensive.<P>By the way, I notice that AMT has re-issued its '62 Electra 225 hardtop and '66 Wildcat hardtop kits. The '66 Wildcats kits were interesting in that they used the '65 Wildcat dashboard and interior. The '66 Wildcat was never offered as a promo, so it would be another great candidate for this AMT Masterpiece Collection.

Centurion: I know about these models. I have purchased the '58 Edsel Pacer hardtop, the '62 Pontiac Catalina Super Duty 421 and the '60 Ford Starliner. Edsel is stunning in turquoise & white with fender skirts & continental kit. Edsel is same casting as previously released pre-painted kit in red & black (but without skirts and connie kit). Pontiac is orangish-red. Starliner is baby blue & white. Other releases in this bunch are the '62 Chevrolet and the '66 Riviera you mention, plus a '71 Dodge Charger. <P>Good mail order service is available from Rick Kranz at "www.kranzmodelcars.com". As an alternative for also good service try Bob Zetterman at 303-423-9808.<P>I have not yet seen/bought the Riviera.

A 63 Riv just sold on ebay for big bucks as a promo but the hood comes off & it had a motor. Also the photo looked different than my 63 promo.Are you aware of this promo? or is it a well done model? Norb

Centurion: Retail pricing on the new AMT models is about $25 each. These are a bargain. The Edsel is stunning. <P>Re: '63 Riviera promo. I do not have one. However I do have two (one red & one turquoise) correct and original AMT '62 Ford Fairlane promos which came complete with opening hoods and assembled V-8 engines with some chrome parts. The '62 Fairlane promo does seem to use all kit parts, injection molded in body color as a promo but assembled by AMT as a kit. It is possible that the AMT '63 Riviera promo followed this construction method; the original champagne color '66 Riviera promo did not.<P>Bob Zetterman would know correct construction of '63 Riviera promo.

Norb, when I saw that '63 Riviera, I figured it was probably a built kit. As far as I am aware, the true promos (and "dime-store" frictions) did not have opening hoods. Some of the built kits listed on Ebay have been professionally done and are very nice. These would be great for display purposes, but are not the true promos.<P>Ranchero, thanks for the information. Are you able to provide us with some feel for the pricing on these new 1/25 "AMT Masterpiece" cars?<P>Thanks.

Further checking on early Riviera promos: This is by phone from a promo collector, not seeing the models first hand. The '63 & '64 were both produced from the kit tool, meaning a separate hood part. The '63 had an opening hood with a complete engine block (constructed like the '62 Fairlane promo). The '64 had the hood heat sealed and a plug in the chassis to represent the bottom of the engine block.

Hi Gary<BR>No. It will be a Std Wildcat, NO GS.<BR>Dont know what style letters wil be on car.<P>Are you still looking for a rear bumper for your 72? I might have found one, will know next month, and let you know. Say Sam Sunday, He looks pretty good, getting his belly back. Told me about your 400 purchase.<BR>Talk later.<BR>Jim Schilf

I located a bumper, but I have some things on my Wildcat that are needed first.<P>Regarding model kits, whose '66 Riviera GS is pictured on the box of that beautiful, new AMT 1/25th scale kit? It is a silver GS, with a right side rear view mirror, which is not too commonly seen on this year Riviera.<P>AK Buickman..........

Thank you, Joe;<BR>I thought that it was Denny Manner's car; it looked very familiar. <BR>Was that the Riviera that was on display inside the BMD Engineering Building in Flint, during the 1978 BCA National Meet & BMD's 75th Anniversary?? The Riviera on display was owned by one of the BMD engineers, and was either silver or charcoal in color.<BR>AK Buickman........................

I just bought the new 66 Wildcat AMT model last weekend,it is not a GS and it has the script lettering. It does have the dual 4-bl carbs, bucket seats.Cost was 9.95 at a hobby store.<BR> Starc

I wish one of the model companies or diecast companies would do a 67 GS 400 or Skylark. Maybe some Buick enthusiast should get in touch with Classic Metal Works and commission a model. They already do a 66 GTO and Chevelle. Shouldn't be too difficult to do the Buick. Or even start up a company to make diecasts of favorite Buicks. I hear that the companies in China doing die-casts are very reasonable.

Within the last few days, there was an item on the Buy/Sell Forum of this BCA website that ERTL will be producing a 1/18-scale 1967 GS400 as part of its musclecar series that has already included the 1970 and 1971 GSX's. There is ordering information included with that topic. <P>On occasion, I see original promos of the 1966 Skylark GS (1/25-scale) for sale on Ebay.<P>I also noticed that Hot Wheels has introduced its "1971" set of four muscle cars, which includes the 1971 GSX.<P>The articles in "Musclecar Review" and Buick's excellent showing at many of the musclecar "shootouts" have created a great deal of interest in Buick muscle. We all benefit by seeing more of these small-scale Buicks being produced.

Old Guy;<BR>The Silver Arrow Riviera was on display in the Administration Building, if I remember correctly. In addition to that car, for those who took the tour of the Engineering Building, you might remember a '66 or '67 Riviera way in the back of the building somewhere. It was located near the end of the tour route. Everyone had to leave their cameras with BMD Security before the tour, so I could not snap any photos of this beautiful Riviera. Rumor was that it belonged to one of the BMD engineers.<BR>AK Buickman

AK buickman, I did not go on the tour but Denny lives right down the road from me and I will ask him. It was probably his as he had the car at that time and was an engineer for Buick. he was one of the engineers responsible for the Stage 1 Buicks that were the terrors of the drag strip back in the early 70s rolleyes.gif" border="0rolleyes.gif" border="0