Production Numbers on 54 Century w/ 3 speed trans

palbuick

I've only seen three of the '55 Century 2-door hardtops with the three-speed, and about 15 years ago there was a '54 Century 4-door sedan with a factory stick shift in Massachusetts, which I almost bought but didn't. I don't know the exact number or percentage of production, but it has got to be miniscule! I restored a '58 Special with factory 3-speed a few years ago, and it was fast and responsive car to drive. The stick shift Century must be a rocket!

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

When I was in high school, my best friend's father bought a 54 Century with the 3-speed. It was a smooth, extremely powerful car. At the time, my performance standard was the flathead Ford with high-compression heads, a hot cam and dual Stromberg carburetors. Talk about a contrast, the Buick would outperform the hot rods and do it in quiet dignity. I would have given my immortal soul for that car!

Thaks Guys for the input.

I know that this is a scarce car, It has one other problem, it has FOUR port holes on front fender. Fenders fit as new, I know all Centurys had 3 port holes in 54. I didn't get the serial number or the body/production number.

Any help with information on the car will be appreciated. Would like to add this one to my garage.

JIm Schilf / palbuick@aol.com

• 1 month later...

Hi Lamar.

Never found any production numbers on this car. Sloan might be next try.

Haven't been able to come to terms with owner yet. Wants top dollar for car.

While I have your attention would you have an extra dash for a 54 Super or Roaddie with instruments, have aq friend with a big project and wants a 54 dash.

Jim Schilf

palbuick@aol.com

Guest imported_MrEarl

If I can ever figure out what I am going to do re the tranny and rearend swap out I might have one. I believe those bolt in top and bottom don't they. Do you know if the 54 is interchangeable with the 55? Would either one work?

Still curious about the 4 ventiports on the 54 Century. I have some factory photos of one without ventiports but never saw one with 4. Try and get the seriel/production numbers if you can.Should be an interesting data plate. Maybe a Ned Nickles proto? wink.gif

Jim,

While I do not have specific production numbers on a '54 Century with standard transmission, I can shed some additional light on this.

When the new 1955 Buicks were announced to the public, Buick Motor Division sent press releases out to the news media, asking the media to print the releases on Monday, November 15, 1954, 4 days before the new '55's were to be unveiled in Buick showrooms. I have a copy of all '55 press releases from BMD in my collection. One of the news releases says, "Nine out of ten 1954 Buick models were equipped with Dynaflow."

Over 45,000 '54 Century 2-dr hardtops were sold in the 1954 model year, so figure that about 90 % of that number MAY have been equipped with Dynaflow (?). However, from what I have seen, most of the 3-speed manual Buicks have been installed in the Special series during the middle 1950's. I would speculate that very few Supers and Centurys had stick shift.

I hope this helps.

Gary, BCA #1955.....