How Can I Obtain a Front License Plate Holder?

Hello,

I have just purchased a black 1990 Buick Reatta convertible. I live in NY where a front license is required (I bought the car in Michigan). I just visited the Buick dealership and they tell me the front bracket designed for this (part number 1639026) has been discontinued. Anyone know how I can purchase one?

Thanks, Audrey

Congratulations on your purchase, and let me be the first to welcome you to the board. I had the same issue when I brought My Reatta back to NY. Speedway Automotive www.reattaparts.com sells a reproduction front plate bracket. Like everything they sell, it is fairly expensive (but less than $ 100.00). It is made of fiberglass (black)and fits perfectly. Don't bother with any other part needs through them as there are MUCH better alternatives available.

The original front license bracket required drilling two holes in the front bumper which I personally would be reluctant to do. Also mounted dead center it partilally blocks the Grille opening which I also would not want to do.

Fortunately I live in Florida which does not require them but if they did I would investigate mounting a license plate bracket through the passenger side fog lamp (they do not do much anyway) opening and using its mount. I have seen front plates mounted offset before but you might want tocheck your state laws, suspect anywhere on the front that it is visible would be OK.

BTW last I looked, Michigan also required front plates so the two bumper holes may already be there.

I have tried one from a Riviera (GM #25556786) about $16.00 and it will work.

The contour at the top, where it fits to the bumper is off and a little file work is required.

Another suggestion by a Reatta owner is GM #22551295 from a Grand AM, with no experience, I don't know if it fits better or worse than the Riviera bracket.

In both cases, they do not come with the lower braces. These can be easilly made.