Engine Oil

RLBeam

I have noticed when I get a false Low Engine Oil message that it recommends adding 5W 30 weight. I live in South Florida where it is very hot and have been using 10W 30. Is it recommended that I should be using the 5W 30 ?

I understand the recommendation to use 5W30 is to increase fuel economy as less drag on motor when first started. i use 10W30 in all my cars (Mobil 1 my preference) Got 230k miles on our 1989 Riviera.

Replace your oil level sensor especially if it is the original.

my two cents

Charlie

In Orlando I use 10W-30 all year forall my computer cars. Manual shows it OK if temperature stays above freezing and that is way conservative. '92 3800 in TranSport says 10W-30 period. The "W" is how thick it gets when cold.

Guest RED891

I use Mobil1 5w30 for last 35,000mi the Dr. who owned it used GM5w-30 and doesn't use any oil, 103,000 and running..

20W-50 makes my engines run hotter so you wind up with the same pressure and less power. Would also be concerned about how fast it could get through small clearances when cold. I run straight 30 wt Vavoline racing in the Judge and 10W-30 in everything else - either Valvoline or Castrol depending on what's on sale when I need a case.

20w-50 is pretty fat for the tight clearances inside the 3800. The older 3.8's used a different oiling system and do suffer from fairly low idle oil pressure but significantly heavier oil than 10w30 in a 3800 shouldn't be necessary if it's up to snuff internally. Too heavy an oil costs horsepower without any other gains.