Car spotting- "In Cold Blood"

rocketraider

TCM showing "In Cold Blood" tonight.

I'd read that Truman Capote and director Richard Brooks went above and beyond for accuracy in this movie, going so far as to film it in Holcomb KS area and casting some of the original trial jurors.

They did an exceptional job with the movie cars too. I think I saw one 1963 Cutlass in a highway scene but otherwise everything was 1959 or earlier- correct for the 1959 setting of the movie. I guess decent condition 8 year old cars were still easy to find in 1966-67 when the movie was made.

Several 1959 Chevrolet and Ford police cars, and a late 50s Rambler police car of all things. Some early 50s Pontiacs too.

Good old car spotting movie in spite of the subject matter.

• Like 3

I worked for a time for the man who supplied the cars for the movie. A great guy. It’s my recollection that he did not charge for the cars because of the publicity and benefits that Garden City, Ks. received from the making of the movie.

He was given a small part in the movie.

I’m not going to name him because of a tragedy that happened when he flew out for the opening of the movie.

I think in the book the killers drove a 49 or 50 Chevy and replaced the throw out bearing immediately before driving out to western Kansas.

In the movie, I think it’s a Pontiac. Don’t know which is correct.

• Like 3

HIjack alert, I saw it was on last night but did not get to see it. I have seen it before several times though. Great movie.

Watching Svengooli Sat, there was a movie within a movie that the star was a 1926 Jordan Playboy. Dummy me said, they didnt make Playboy's until after the war. Thinking they had made up a car ala hollywood style. My son did a quick search and corrected me. 

• Like 2

I agree that it was a great movie. For more info on it check it out on Wikipedia....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Cold_Blood_(film)

Then check out the movie "Capote" starring Philip Seymour Hoffman as Truman Capote, for which he won the Academy Award for Best Actor. This movie covers how Capote got info from the two killers on how they committed the murders for his book. It got even higher ratings on Rotten Tomatoes (movie ratings site) than "In Cold Blood" did....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capote_(film)

Yesterday was Capote's birthday and TCM aired both movies back to back last night. 

I had misplaced just how powerful an actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was. Not many could have pulled off a portrayal of Capote as he did.

There were several prominently placed 50s cars in "Capote" too, so both movies are well worth an old car guy's time, both for cars and story.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TAKerry said:

1926 Jordan Playboy.

You never read the Jordan ads? You really missed something! Somewhere west of Laramie......   car advertising's ZENITH!

We watch Sven later, TiVo it (what's TiVo?).🤣

• Haha 1