1925 Studebaker, Big Six or Special Six?

nsbrassnut

Here is another interesting car in storage Eastern Canada. Its a 1925 Studebaker Duplex Phaeton. But it is a Big Six or a Special Six. It was described to me as a Big Six, but I haven't been able to confirm it.

Its a pretty solid old car with a 1960's repaint, original leather seats, but replacement vinyl door panels. The pull down side curtains are still inside. However, the engine is stuck from sitting for so long.

2 Stud.jpg

2 Stud 3.jpg

2 Stud 4.jpg

• Like 2

Yep. Special six.  The engine number  will start with EQ for that one, ER for the  big one if I recall correctly. Numper should be on a pad at the right front kind of under the generator. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for the information. It's another car from an old family collection that could be for sale to the right person to restore. Its in Eastern Canada, if anyone is interested they can PM me and I can help put them in touch with the owner.

Hi Wayne

It may be good thing that you don't live close. I suspect that the price may be fair given the condition and current market. But I understand you may live on the West coast and the Studebaker is on the East coast of Canada. The cost getting it to you would likely be more than the cost of the car. 😉

Yes, this one like a lot of others hurts. Some years ago I had to sell several good antique automobiles for "family reasons". Two to three years ago, I thought I was going to be able to buy one good car to replace something of what I had lost. No such luck. Situations have worsened, and right now I should not acquire anything at any price as I may need to move everything I already have to I have no idea where? The good thing is, if that happens and I survive the move, I should be able to get back to working on the project cars I already have. Two of which could be roadworthy in a couple months.

On 9/11/2024 at 1:09 AM, wayne sheldon said:

I sure like that car! I wish I could afford it.

Yes, Those are great cars.  Only weakness is the 2 wheel brakes. 

I always seem to adapt so naturally to the two wheel brakes myself. I have driven model Ts for many thousands of miles with only two wheel brakes. My model Ts I always made sure the brakes were working at their best, sometimes with after-market outside brakes added onto the rear wheels. I have had two early Studebakers, a 1915 seven passenger six cylinder touring car and a 1925 standard coach, both with two wheel brakes. Both I drove a lot in the years I had them.

The biggest real issue with two wheel brakes is that nobody else understands that you may need that extra space you keep ahead of you. Other people tend to take the space you need to keep for yourself. One needs to adjust your driving and pay very close attention to everything around you. Pay special attention to "outs", places you might be able to pull into if someone does something stupid ahead of you. "Outs" change constantly as you drive, and although it may slow you and your slow car down even more, keeping in the right lane most of the time usually allows more "outs".

Properly adjusted and maintained, Two wheel brakes are about forty percent as effective as four wheel brakes. That is a number people should be aware of. Properly adjusted and maintained two wheel brakes actually work quite well. The biggest problem with two wheel brake antique automobiles is that most people do not adjust them properly.

• Like 2