23/45 Sports Special 1923 6 cylinder. (STARTER PROBLEM)

Seton0

You're making it sound good, thanks. I will look at removing this plate while in the car. Would you think that's possible, given what you see? I have not worked on this yet, so I'm a bit wary. I sounds as though this plate should come out with brushes attached quite easily. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Brian.

I engaged the starter today, with someone watching the SG. When the starter was engaged, the commutator comes to a dead stop. This looks electrical to me. What do you think? 

In your first comment posted, you stated that if you engage manually the gears the starter started the engine.  This to me means the electrical components while worn and dirty, still function.  

You need the linkages to do this for you when the pedal is applied.  Your large brushes are very worn and the linkage may not have enough travel to move the brushes far enough to get good contact. 

Clean both commutators. 

Replace all brushes. 

Check wiring to from rear of S/G. 

Adjust linkage. 

What it appears you don’t have is a failure in the field or armature windings which is good news. 

• Like 3

I purchased a brush set for my 1922 S/G from Jason at AER shown below.  I took my unit apart, cleaned everything good including the commutators, re-made the wiring pieces inside and installed the new brushes and it works great.  Motors well and generates well.   I've included a few pictures of my unit here.

IMG-5631.JPG

!cid_5c173b1e-73f9-45c6-8176-4039490f5518@namprd19_prod_outlook.jpg

IMG-5608.JPG

IMG-5610.JPG

IMG-5611.JPG

IMG-5634.JPG

IMG-5613.JPG

IMG-5637.JPG

IMG-5638.JPG

IMG-5639.JPG

IMG-5645.JPG

IMG-5646.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

That is great info, thanks. Looks like I'll get it out and pull it down. Mark Kikta, are the 5 brushes laying on the cloth the brushes you removed, or the replacement brushes? I have no idea what the correct length would be. Do you have an email address for the brush supplier at all? Do the brushes come shaped for the commutator, or do you do that yourself? Sorry for all the questions!!

Those brushes are the new ones. Don’t drop them.  I dropped one of the smaller ones and broke it so I had to order one single replacement. If you look at the new ones, they come pretty much shaped.

Edited by Mark Kikta (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thankyou everyone, for your input. I have sourced two sets of brushes from the States, and I have a fellow here that will do the work and check the armature etc. It's appreciated. 

One question though , on the car. The car is a 23/45. Can someone tell me what the 45 refers to? 

The 45 is simply a series model # noting it as the 5 passenger touring car. At its beginning there were single digit model series as well a letter series. 10 series, 20 series, 30 series and 50 series. Setting up different wheel base as to its series.  Buicks In 1916 brought out the light 6. That touring car was designated D-45. This designation continued to the end of the 6 cylinder era in 1930. My Standard Touring 114 WB. series for 1925 is the 25-25. My Master Touring 120" WB. is 25-45. My friend's 1927 Master Sport Roadster 128" WB is a 27-54.

• Thanks 1