1927 Erskine, not mine.

4 minutes ago, BobinVirginia said:

I’ve never heard of an Erskin. Sharp little car and looks to be in good shape. It appears to be all steel body construction with practically no rot I see.  Someone will snatch this up! 

Albert Erskine, Studebaker Corporation president, decided to expand the product lines to cover more price segments in the latter 1920's decade.  The Erskine, which he modestly named for himself, was a small, European-type car that even met the European taxable horsepower reg's but unfortunately was quite underpowered (40hp) and overpriced ($975) compared to what other choices the American buyer had.   Rather than tie-up South Bend plant capacity, it was set up as a separate manufacturing operation in Detroit, the engine sourced from Continental.  Sales were disappointing, in the ~23K average range.  Each succeeding year, it was revised upward in power and size until the mid-1930 model when it quietly became the 1930 Studebaker Six Model 53.   Erskine's other move to expand Studebaker Corporation's market coverage was to purchase Pierce-Arrow for $5M in 1928, sinking considerable funds into improvements and updates for that company's manufacturing operations.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5