Blue on blue '65 Gran Sport on BaT

Just as the silver '65 GS hammered at $92k, another one has been listed on BaT.  This one has been bid to $50k.  Auction ends in 3 days, so let's keep an eye on this one...

image.png.f3c78f3c721b8f8fc707506c9b8d52da.png

This is a high-dollar restoration.  Note the perfect headlight visors and bezels for the power windows!  That perfectly upholstered trunk! 

Ok, you nit-pickers out there - spot any anomalies on this car?    I'll start:

45 - Front license plate bracket is missing

49 - Rubber baffle protecting headlight motor is missing

76 - Standard hubcaps instead of GS specific two-bladed spinner covers

96 - Antenna insulator (black) is missing  - should have got one from member Barney Eaton!

109 - Gran Sport emblems should have flat black backgrounds (not chrome)

178 - Aluminum door sill molding missing from passenger side?  (It is present in other photos)

194 - door opening handles not installed correctly (flat vs. wing formation)

200 - Arm rests clumsily recovered in vinyl material - not craftsman work

222 - Ignition switch is from a '63 or '64, not correct for '65

255 - Rear seat belts have incorrect later GM buckles (Data Plate shows this car didn't come with rare rear belts)

277 - Hood latch gold-dichromate plated

282 - Wrong battery type.  Credit for proper battery cable placement (positive on left).  Not sure if the factory used a red positive cable

310 - 'Riviera' not mentioned on Frigidaire compressor decal - should it be?

314 - Wrong 'Kleer-View' label on windshield washer glass bottle (should have 'Optikleen' label)

Seat belt photos 437 and 440, and 446 indicate this was a #4 car prior to restoration.  The restorer has done an admirable job of bringing it to its present condition.  This is testament to the restorability of these cars, as long as rust hasn't eaten the undercarriage and lower body panels away. This car had no serious rust to deal with, including in the trunk - a great starting point! 

I shudder to think how much it cost to restore to it's present condition, and whether the seller will recover his costs.  Let's watch the auction, and see!

Edited by 65VerdeGS
formatting (see edit history)

White plastic feurrels around door lock knobs; shouldn't this be chrome?

Exhaust manifold gaskets. (Buick didn't use these)

Looks like someone has added a hood release cable, possibly a choke cable? Left of steering column.

Needs a yellow "OK BUICK" stamp on a/c compressor.

Plug wires originally had flared boots at the plug end.

Two different types of battery cable ends.

Missing exhaust resonators.

Probably some other things I failed to note, and I know I am picking it apart, but if I had 162 large ones to lay out for this car, I would want it PERFECT.

However, it looks like someone started with a solid car to begin with, and an early production to boot. I DID like the pictures of the original engine compartment with the patch on the fan shroud.

Wonder if that was a result of the infamous left motor mount giving way?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RivNut said:

What made me think that Buick stopped using the flared boots in the late 50s or early 60s?

They may have; not sure. I think the repro wires from 'lectric limited have them, tho.