Very nice Turbine caps FS. Bringing to Lexington

Bought these from member Steve Lorenzen earlier this year for my 63 but then found a set of Skylark wires which I am having restored.

They are in very good condition but the aluminum needs the brushed/semi polished finish redone. Stainless caps are very nice.  The chrome spinners are nice as well and the emblems are NOS. 

Overall, I would describe them as a 7.5-8 out of 10. Not concours perfect but pretty darn good. Includes the studs/spacers.
i paid Steve $1200 and would like to get that back.  I will have them with me in Lexington.

happy to take more pics as well.

IMG_1880.jpeg

IMG_1881.jpeg

IMG_1882.jpeg

• Like 1

It would be good to know if these are for 5.5” or 6” wheels.  The mounting studs on the back of the covers for 6” wheels have a larger shoulder than the studs for the 5.5” wheels. A 1/4” larger.

IMG_0376.jpeg.4c4347101e9dc495db9538cb88536c9b.jpegIMG_1015.jpeg.8d29e83360cbab474ec4644d16fc5f62.jpeg

8 hours ago, Cornpanzers Riv said:

Bought these from member Steve Lorenzen earlier this year for my 63 but then found a set of Skylark wires which I am having restored.

They are in very good condition but the aluminum needs the brushed/semi polished finish redone. Stainless caps are very nice.  The chrome spinners are nice as well and the emblems are NOS. 

Overall, I would describe them as a 7.5-8 out of 10. Not concours perfect but pretty darn good. Includes the studs/spacers.
i paid Steve $1200 and would like to get that back.  I will have them with me in Lexington.

happy to take more pics as well.

IMG_1880.jpeg

IMG_1881.jpeg

IMG_1882.jpeg

I wish for those! 🤞

Studs w/ the shoulder can be replaced with all-thread and a sleeve. You do not want to use the 5.5” stud on a 6” wheel. That tightens the cover to the wheel rather than the shoulder on the stud.  Pressure on the cover when tightened to the wheel can cause stress and crack the cover.  Remember you have a steel stud in an aluminum wheel cover. Those two metals can fuse together causing the stud to break or the boss to break off when trying to remove them.  Read up on how to separate two kinds of metals before you break something

IMG_1014.jpeg

1 hour ago, Turbinator said:

Cornpanzer, the studs for 6” wheels can be easily substituted with ALTHREAD and spacer. Cut the ALLTHREAD and chamfer the ends. I can measure the length and spacer thickness if you want. The ALLTHREAD typically ( 5/16” x 18 ) threads easier than the original studs. Best of luck.

Turbinator

Like I said in the picture that I posted of some actual studs lying on a ruler.  The exact lengths are on the illustration that I posted. 

Overall length of the 5 1/2" stud is 1 5/32"=1.156". This translates to the factory spec of 1.16"

Overall length of the 6" stud is 1 25/64"=1.390. This translates to the factory spec of 1.4"

Spacer on the 5 1/2" stud is 1/16" using the micrometer or eyeballing with a tape.

Spacer on the 6" stud is 19/64" using the micrometer and eyeballing with a tape 9/32". I did have one stud that did give a 9/32" measurement with the micrometer. 

The length of the threaded portion above and below the respective spacers is the same for each size stud with the difference being the size of the spacer.

Bill

IMG_9621.JPG

IMG_9622.JPG

IMG_9623.JPG

IMG_9624.JPG

IMG_9625.JPG

The 19/64 is very close to 20/64 which, when reduced, is 5/16.  That would mean the longer shoulder is 1/4” thicker or half of the difference in the 5-1/2” wheel and the 6” wheel widths.  19/64 or 5/16, it all makes sense that the cover is secured agains the shoulder on the stud rather than the wheel. 

Gents, may I humbly suggest that instead of commandeering my FS thread that you start an informational thread so that this valuable minutia is preserved and searchable in the future?  
Caps still available and I will have them with me in Lexington. Let’s talk…need to offset the cost of my refinished Skylarks. 

IMG_9248.jpeg

• Like 1