Dodge 230 Thermostat

I have an early 50s 230 and I think it’s behaving like it either doesn’t have a thermostat or the thermostat is stuck open.  Is this where I would find a

thermostat?  Can I use a generic thermostat from the local auto parts store?  What temperature thermostat should I put in it?  Thanks for any help.

IMG_0349.jpeg

The thermostat is under the water outlet to the radiator. Usually they were available in 160 degree and 180 degree.  There is a good chance your local auto parts store has one and a new gasket for it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TerryB said:

The thermostat is under the water outlet to the radiator. Usually they were available in 160 degree and 180 degree.  There is a good chance your local auto parts store has one and a new gasket for it.

I appreciate the I do sir.  My local oreilly’s had the thermostat and the gasket.  I took the housing off the head and the was indeed no thermostat.  The thermostat thru gave me looked nothing like I’ve seen before so hopefully I’ve installed it correctly.  I was amazed and scared how much corrosion was in the housing.  I’m not sure if there is anything I could or should do about that.  I’m curious or see if I can get it up to temp now.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, InsideTrader said:

There are lots of good posts and YouTube videos found here on corrosion in older engines and how to deal with it. Forum member Keithb7 with his Chryslers has great information with videos that will really help if you are a beginner. Worth a search!

good luck

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, the evaporust is discussed and it seems to work from what I read.  The one downside is that you need to keep filtering the cooling system water for quite some as particles of rust keep coming loose.

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)
  • Like 1