Fuel Tank Padding Matrerial

My fuel tank started leaking last week so I ordered a replacement. I dropped the original tank and noticed that it has a pad glued to the top to prevent rubbing against the car body. What's a suitable material to replace the original pad with? 

I have used  piece of tar paper (aka tar impregnated felt building paper) in the past.  I also cut strips to fit between the mounting straps and the tank.  I had leftover material on hand and it worked well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EmTee said:

I have used  piece of tar paper (aka tar impregnated felt building paper) in the past.  I also cut strips to fit between the mounting straps and the tank.  I had leftover material on hand and it worked well.

And that is mostly free as is old seat belt material...frugal and too impatient to wait on shipping.

• Like 1

I looked into roofing felt but the smallest quantity I could find was a 144' roll for about the same price as I paid for the pad, including shipping. While I'd have come out about the same financially I'd end up throwing away the remainder of the roll, or even worse having it take up space storing it for years until I eventually got tired of tripping over it and finally trashed it. The pad will ship today and it should be here on Thursday or Friday. I won't have time to install the tank until the weekend anyway so it all should work out.

• Like 2