57 Olds J2

Help! I just found a 57 Olds Super 88; according to the last owner (who bought the car in 1981), the original owner had blanked off the front and rear carbs during the gas crisis in the early 70's. Just ran a copper line from the fuel pump to the center carb (original fuel lines are gone) and plugged up a couple of vacuum hoses. This car absolutely must be running on all 3 carbs, and I'd like to do it as close to original as possible. Does anyone have info on what the original setup looks like (fuel line, vacuum hose routing, heat risers for the choke, etc.) Thanks, Jay.

if you prefer to email me directly, it's: detective_roberts@hotmail.com

I recommend buying a 1957 Olds factory shop manual and the 1957 Carburetion Supplement manual which covers the J2. You find both on ebay fairly often. Also join OCA and its 1957 Chapter. Those guys will know and may have some spare parts lying around.

If you're close to Cincinnati, the National Meet is there July 9-12 and there are always several correct J2 cars attending.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input-- I've looked at a few pictures now and I've got

one of the books. Still need to find the carb supplement.

Jay

• 8 years later...

This gentleman called me up to ask what a J-2 setup was worth. I told him to come to the website here and ask. Surely someone will be able to give him a pretty good estimate of what it is worth. I told him it was probably worth somewhere in the vicinity of $2000 to $2500 but I was no expert and he should get another estimate. Will somebody chime in.

I told him it was probably worth somewhere in the vicinity of $2000 to $2500 but I was no expert and he should get another estimate. Will somebody chime in.

you get them on ebay all day long for around $1500 complete set up..you can get an intake for $100 or less.