Quick ratio steering gear box

I just finished completely re building the front suspension on my 64 Riviera. I would like to upgrade the steering box to a 2-1/2 turn quick ratio box. I want to stick with the large 808 3-1/2” piston box. Any suggestions? 

Have your original box rebuilt with quick ratio gears. Note that the ratio does not determine the "feel" of the box, it's the thickness of the torsion bar that controls the force required to turn the wheel. You can have a quick ratio box that still has "one finger" power steering. Power Steering Specialties (www.powersteering.com) is one source for rebuilding yours with the right innards.

167D1DA9-B262-49F5-8885-574C859064CB.jpeg.f71c90f203de15241c794bd4db07397a.jpeg1607457156022.png.8cc9fde2ea8535036ee54a27bd015b25.png

• Like 3

Or, swap yours for a Saginaw 808 box from a 1969 -76 GM "B" or "C" body such as: Riviera, LeSabre, Electra, Deville, Bonneville, Catalina, etc.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Or, swap yours for a Saginaw 808 box from a 1969 -76 GM "B" or "C" body such as: Riviera, LeSabre, Electra, Deville, Bonneville, Catalina, etc.

Which will have neither a quick ratio nor the correct torsion bar.

Posted (edited)

Or switch out a box from a 9-C-1 X body Nova/ B-body Caprice or F body Pontiac Trans Am or Z-28 Camaro. On those boxes the Pitman Arm can be located for a front or rear steer car as they are indexed for 180-degree application. I have a 1975 9-C-1 Police Nova box in my 1969 Pontiac H-0 LeMans and a 1971 Trans Am box in my 1962 Pontiac Catalina, also a 1976 Police Nova 9-C-1 box in my 1976 Olds Omega. These boxes all interchange and are all variable high effort boxes.

Don't stop there make your car have negative roll center steering and add disc brakes.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Or switch out a box from a 9-C-1 X body Nova/ B-body Caprice or F body Pontiac Trans Am or Z-28 Camaro. On those boxes the Pitman Arm can be located for a front or rear steer car as they are indexed for 180-degree application. I have a 1975 9-C-1 Police Nova box in my 1969 Pontiac H-0 LeMans and a 1971 Trans Am box in my 1962 Pontiac Catalina, also a 1976 Police Nova 9-C-1 box in my 1976 Olds Omega. These boxes all interchange and are all variable high effort boxes.

Don't stop there make your car have negative roll center steering and add disc brakes.

Sure, but when was the last time you saw a 9C1 Nova in a wrecking yard? I have a G-body Monte SS box in my 67 Delta, but again, I got that box about 15 years ago.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

Sure, but when was the last time you saw a 9C1 Nova in a wrecking yard? I have a G-body Monte SS box in my 67 Delta, but again, I got that box about 15 years ago.

They sell remanufactured quick ratio-variable ratio boxes, and they are manufactured new units too like the Borgeson units. It's a question of where to look, you won't find this at NAPA.   

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Pfeil said:

They sell remanufactured quick ratio-variable ratio boxes, and they are manufacture new units too like the Borgeson units. It's a question of where to look, you won't find this at NAPA.   

Yes, Lares sells them. You pick the ratio you want. I would still have the original rebuilt with quick ratio gears, but that's me.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

Yes, Lara sells them. You pick the ratio you want. I would still have the original rebuilt with quick ratio gears, but that's me.

Me too. Also, there are kits so you can do it yourself.