Homak tool chest

Hi there, 

Did a quick search but didn't see anything. Any thoughts on Homak tool boxes from anyone here?

There is one locally available here and just wondering if it is worth looking at. Has both bottom and top box. 11 drawers total. 

Thanks 

I have four Homak toolboxes.  Very happy with them.

Posted (edited)

No experence with Homak, but any decient used roll away is worth considering. Cost of new ones has gotten out of sight. I never have enough tool storage space myself. My wife is going to have quite the yard sale after I pass on. She never complains about my obsession with tools, cars, motorcycles, houses, etc. etc. Only one wife though. She's a keeper. ...Jim 😉

Edited by Wire-Wheels (see edit history)
  • Like 2

This is an older top and bottom chest unit. Found out my local NAPA store is a dealer for Homak. Expensive but maybe I'll go have a look. (The new stuff) The one I'm looking at is only $300

I have a number of tool boxes I bought used. One thing that always seems to be missing is the keys. I have 2 Craftsman bottom boxes. 4 of thier top boxes. 1 mid box, a side box, 2 wood machinist chests, a little roll around home owner box for fixing doors, cabinets, locks etc. And I still would like more space. I have to keep the power tools on shelves.  ...J.D.

I wish nice used boxes would show up here. They're invariably beat to pieces. Dented, broken drawer slides, missing wheels...

Used to find some decent ones in estate sales at a local auction house until the plague came in 2020 and they changed to online only auctions. Sometimes there were even some tools included.

No personal experience with Homak. Northern Tool has them here. I remember some discussions on Garage Journal a few years back, around time Harbor Freight introduced their higher-end boxes. Most people thought the HF boxes were built better but the Homak were comparable to contemporary Craftsman and Waterloo boxes. Maybe a little thicker sheetmetal.

I have a dedicated key box in the garage. All the car and tractor keys, toolbox keys etc are in it. I know which key goes to what, but they're not marked for anyone else! You'd have to match the number code on the key to the lock cylinder on the box!😄

• Like 1

On 5/8/2024 at 4:50 AM, Wire-Wheels said:

No experence with Homak, but any decient used roll away is worth considering. Cost of new ones has gotten out of sight. I never have enough tool storage space myself.

This!

Big brand names don't matter much now days as the quality of those names are in the dumpster.

I have a red Sears Craftsman tool box from early 1980s, construction is good, slides are good.

I have a Black Craftsman tool box from the early 2000's before Sears sold themselves off, hands down piece of garbage, cheaply made thin materials and the drawer slides, well they don't slide, have to push pull them so hard that the entire box rolls back and forth even with the wells locked.

As I have pointed out, the Homak branded boxes are available through Northern Tools and Amazon, basically Chinese made boxes and would be very similar to pretty much any other tool box you can buy now days in retail stores.

If the price is right for your budget and you can live with non US made I don't think you will go wrong.

Myself, I have a HF store near by, one day when I get sick enough of the black Craftsman box I will be looking at a HF box to replace it.. Nothing can be as bad as that Black Craftsman box..

Posted (edited)

I know what you mean. I have Craftsmen with some other things thrown in there too. The oldest is a Craftsman set I bought new about 1978. It has seen both home use and made me a living. it has become too heavy to move around without a struggle, even with the wheels upgraded some years back. After that I started picking up used ones, as I could find them in good condition. The drawer slides seem to be the most common problem I experience if they are not well made. ...Jim

P.S. i also have a dedicated keybox like "rocketraider". Mine is attached to the inside  shopwall and has all the duplicate keys. It is secured by a combination lock. My property has a master key for all the buildings and a seperate "pass key" for various areas like the shop, the barn, etc. where I might want to allow limited access. In those cases, the lock can work with the property master key, or the pass key for that lock alone. Tricks I picked up being a maintenance engineer for many years. ...Jim

Edited by Wire-Wheels (see edit history)