1929 or 1930?

I have been asked by some friends to assist in getting their Buick back to a useable condition. The car was restored at least 50 years ago by a man who has passed. His son, who was the last driver of the car, has also passed so there are a lot of unknowns. My role may or may not include doing the mechanical repairs, but at this point I am trying to gather information for them. The car is currently in storage, and the family plans to get it to a better location where it can be worked on.

My first request is for help to identify the year and model of the car. The family has always called it a 1929, but I think it is a 1930 model 40. The chassis number on the frame rail is 2372XXX, and the engine number stamped above the starter is 2475XXX. Can anyone confirm the year and model?

Once I am sure what the car is, I will have more questions. Thanks for your help.

Posted (edited)

One quick way to identify Master vs Standard engine is to look at the coolant return pipe.  Master has a manifold collector pipe that stands over the top of the head.  Standard has a single pipe exiting at the front of the head.   First photo below is Master, second is Standard 

Master 309 ci.jpg

Standard 239 ci.jpg

Edited by Oregon Desert model 45
edit (see edit history)
  • Like 6

I’ll preface this by saying I’m nowhere near as knowledgeable on Buick’s naming system as others. As the owner of a ‘30 Buick, I’ve never heard the terms Standard and Master applied to this year. If Wikipedia is to be believed,Buick stopped using them in ‘28. I bring this up because I think calling your car a 40-Series will help others understand specifically what you are referring to.

Good luck with the project and feel free to reach out if you need a picture for reference on any specific part. Mine is a 60-Series, but similar in many ways.

• Like 1

Steve S. in PA:

According to the 1930 Buick Motor Division Data sheets, chassis number 2372523 is from a model 45 five pass. phaeton.  It falls in the 3rd block of model 45's produced between chassis numbers 2372382 and 2372525.

It should have an engine from either of these sequences:  2439593 to 2489592 or 2524638 to 2568137.

Bill McLaughlin

1929 McLaughlin Buick Roadster

• Like 1

Bill, thank you very much. The car is indeed a five passenger phaeton and the engine does fall into the first number sequence. I was not aware of a model 45, but I know very little about Buicks. I am getting a good education here.