rear window glass for 90 coupe

I've got a 90 coupe with 48,000 miles and yesterday, while sitting in the garage, the rear window shattered. The car was last driven a week ago. My question is, are there any manufacturers making replacements? I called JC Taylor ( Foremost Ins. ) to report the claim and they in turn called Safelite and made an appointment. I now received a cancellation of my appointment from Safelite saying they can't locate a replacement. Is used my only option?

Posted (edited)

I have sent him a PM with 3 places to contact........ hopefully that will help. 

It is also nice to know the general area where someone lives and we might have Reatta owners in the area. 

The back glass in all year Reatta are the same.......however the 1988 did not come with remote door locks so there was 

no receiver antenna in the 1988 rear glass. 

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

Thanks guys and I'll pass those names on to the insurance co.  I'm not a big poster on this site and my kids are surprised I'm able to do what I do. Some years back, I remember seeing a post that some company would periodically run a line of windshields for the Reatta's and thought that may still be the case for back windows. Wrong again! The car has been in Florida for better than 12 years, parked in the same garage, door closed for four months during the summer heat with no issues. Anyway, Foremost Ins. is who I have to deal with and they deal with Safelite. After a trip to Safelite near me, I was informed that they only install remanufactured glass from their vendors. I don't feel I should be the one to locate, purchase and have shipped, find someplace to install it, accept responsibility if they break the used glass and then hope to get reimbursed by the insurance co. I guess I'll see how this plays out. I leave at the end of this month to head north and get the '67 ready for the national and I can't see this being resolved before then. I'll post the final results whenever it happens.

Thanks again

Well here is where I stand as of now. First off, I have to apologize to Barney as I have no idea how to locate private messages. JC Taylor (Foremost Ins.) was willing to have Safelite install the window and scheduled me an appointment. Now that the glass has to be purchased used, the adjuster is claiming that stress, age or pressure caused the failure, it's not covered by my policy. Now I have to find a glass company to come out and see if they can determine what caused the rear window to shatter. And so the saga continues!