windows adjustement -YEAR 1966

Posted (edited)

especially side driver i have a noise like a snap when the power window is UP

it doesn't stop automatically I think

motor to be adjusted? adjustement points up and down ?

I can't find a schema on this theme

if you have response thank you 🙂

Edited by cquisuila (see edit history)

Judging from what I saw of the mechanism when i had my '67 apart last week, there doesn't appear to be any up/down limit associated with the motor.  The motor simply operates until it hits the mechanical stops and you release the switch.  My window adjustment was good - so I purposely did not do anything to change mechanical alignment of the left rear regulator that I removed for troubleshooting.  I marked the position of all of the bolts that I removed.

That said, it sounds like you may have a broken or worn cushion or roller.  Does the window move smoothly?  I would remove the inner door panel and look for any pieces that may have fallen off and settled at the bottom of the door.  Someone must have replaced the glass in my right door sometime in the past, as I found an extra bolt & nut used to attach the glass to the regulator laying at the bottom of the door.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

yes

i entirely removed the total mechanism with motor

i cleaned and regreased

and side passenger it is not a problem

but i haven't removed the motor

i just changed one or two worn rollers

i saw a stop on the top

• Like 1

• cquisuila changed the title to windows adjustement -YEAR 1966
Posted (edited)

OK Tim

I will see this point 

INFORMATION : my probleme is windows glass removed and i don't know if the problem is again with the glass in place...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

I sawn and it seems the engine rack is  the problem

IN FACT the motor rack sticks out too much when the window is up and therefore the motor runs idle

SO i retry regulator and i sawn on work manual the parts "regulator sector gear stop up and down (number 9 and 13) as picture

image.png

image.png.3fa505a8a28f1d1154f8f5bfcb654a31.png

I don't understand because i just see the rack ?

lost parts or broken parts ?

AND more, my picture is DIFFERENT of EM TEE picture where there isn't this parts ! STRANGE ! GRRRRRR....

IT is perhaps my problem

i can see on the right side which is efficient ..;)

image.png

thank you for your help, EM TEE !!!🙂

no > nothing on the rack as the side passenger which is efficient (the motor stops !!)

i don't understand

the motor continues to turn !!! when up

image.png.2fcb9888609835edda550debe77473ff.png

21 hours ago, cquisuila said:

no > nothing on the rack

I think that ^^^ is the problem.  A clamp like the one in the diagram needs to be attached to the sector gear in order to stop the motor from running past the end of the sector.  You could create a slot in the sector gear and install a nut, lock washer and bolt to act as a stop.  A hole in the gear probably won't be sufficient, as the position of the bolt needs to be adjustable so that the closed position of the window can be set to meet the gasket at the roof rail.

5 hours ago, EmTee said:

I think that ^^^ is the problem.  A clamp like the one in the diagram needs to be attached to the sector gear in order to stop the motor from running past the end of the sector.  You could create a slot in the sector gear and install a nut, lock washer and bolt to act as a stop.  A hole in the gear probably won't be sufficient, as the position of the bolt needs to be adjustable so that the closed position of the window can be set to meet the gasket at the roof rail.

OK but why the problem is not on the passenger side which has the same rack WHITOUT stop...i don,t understand..

I don’t know. Did the window work okay before? If not maybe the previous owner changed this and didn’t correct the problem before he sold it to you.

I was only making the observation of the diagram showing a manual door and not a power door. 

Good luck

Ray

17 hours ago, cquisuila said:

OK but why the problem is not on the passenger side which has the same rack WHITOUT stop...i don,t understand..

I don't know - and maybe the language barrier is making this more difficult.  I think some pictures might help.  Can you post pictures of the problem door and also the other side that works correctly?  That might help us determine what is wrong.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

yes !!! i found the problem !

it is the joint had play and caused the notches on the rack to motor gear wheel

see picture

image.png.4b5ab5d69aab3212bf3dd4626ebd41ee.png

i added a flat metal piece to push the joint to motor

see picture solution

image.png.bca66e50f2856a37bc6518453152b0ff.png

and there is no more disconnection !!

if this solution is not sustainable i will change with a big bolt the join rack

I think that if you use a nut and bolt approach, you’ll find that you’ll have clearance problems.  Probably better to replace with a new rivet and bushing.  Look for an appropriate sized tubular rivet.  Tubular rivets do not require heat or a press.

IMG_2314.jpeg.d6451febcb873847e46b45ac49ac4c26.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cquisuila said:

tightening the rivet won't do much I think because the play is lateral

OK, I see what you are saying.  If I understand what is happening the sector gear is disengaging from the drive gear because the rivet hole holding the sector gear is elongated.

If you can't get another regulator, then I would suggest welding-up and re-drilling the hole.  You could also weld-in a bolt having an appropriate shoulder for the sector gear pivot.

It is really difficult to get those book binding rivets to tighten up.  If you tighten them to the point where they won’t come apart, you will have to make them so tight that they will interfere with the operation of the window.  Use the tubular rivets and some brass bushings.

• Like 1