water jacket cover on 35 still leaking

I had the holes welded up,applied gas tank sealer on the inside surface,installed a new gasket with black rtv on both sides and put the sealant around the attaching bolts(I'm glad I only have four.Sealed around the outside of the cover with red high temp rtv filled with water and still have a slight leak!  The bolts look dry.It appears to be between the gasket and the cover,top and bottom. Is there a good sealant I can put over a wet surface? It's not a big leak,just annoying.Thanks.

Perhaps a new plate. There are modern fabrication shops that can digitally scan a parts to then be retouched by a technician. Lastly to be cut out with a water jet. Water jet cut parts are usually perfect.

If the cover is anything like the lifter galley cover on my '38, it's very sensitive to alignment with the block.  I spent a fair amount of time determining exactly where the cover needed to be before I installed it.  Also, I used Permatex gasket maker to adhere the gasket to the cover first, before applying the gasket maker to the other side of the gasket and installing the cover paying attention to placement.  I also added neoprene washers between the cover bolt washers and the cover after noticing leakage from under the bolt heads before disassembly.  Maybe some of this also applies to your water jacket cover...

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 6:40 PM, Buick35 said:

I had the holes welded up,applied gas tank sealer on the inside surface,installed a new gasket with black rtv on both sides and put the sealant around the attaching bolts(I'm glad I only have four.Sealed around the outside of the cover with red high temp rtv filled with water and still have a slight leak!  The bolts look dry.It appears to be between the gasket and the cover,top and bottom. Is there a good sealant I can put over a wet surface? It's not a big leak,just annoying.Thanks.

It was a mistake to use the gas tank sealer, and the rtv. You should have used only what was available back in the 30's for gaskets. (Rtv and silicone sealers will cause lots of issues across the board.) Gas tank sealer may not be stable with heat cycles, you should have used pump casting epoxy to seal it. As far as the gasket and bolts........Indian Head would be the best thing.......a little goes a long way. I recommend leaving it alone now.....unless you start from square one and take it apart. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, edinmass said:

It was a mistake to use the gas tank sealer, and the rtv. You should have used only what was available back in the 30's for gaskets. Gas tank sealer may not be stable with heat cycles, you should have used pump casting epoxy to seal it. As far as the gasket and bolts........Indian Head would be the best thing.......a little goes a long way. I recommend leaving it alone now.....unless you start from square one and take it apart. 

Thanks,I thought I'd go around the outside of it with epoxy sealing putty.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 7:49 AM, Buick35 said:

Thanks,I thought I'd go around the outside of it with epoxy sealing putty.

I took your advice and took it apart so I can start from square one. I'm not sure if I should use a gasket or just the black silicone sealant.It seems like the gasket was causing the water to work and soak through,maybe not.

Edited by Buick35
Add more (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi……pm me with your phone number……..Ed

• Like 1