1931 Chrysler Imperial CG Transmission Model

Joao46

Posted (edited)

According to the Pre 1934 Chrysler Master Parts List, the '31 Chrysler CD8 and the '31 CG Imperial 4 speed-multi range transmissions use same illustration, but the parts numbers are different, #322868 for CD8's, and #320593 for CG up to serial# 7801763, and #322866 after 7801763. This suggests all such transmissions were made by same supplier, likely in-house.

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 1

As I remember these transmissions, the input shaft did not fit into a pilot bearing in the crankshaft but hung out in mid-air.   They were over complicated with more parts than most 4-speed transmission of the day . Many CD-8 owners  had the dealership replace them with a standard 3 sp trans,  I believe they used a 31 Dodge transmission as a replacement.  I made the swap on my CD-8 and was happy. 

• Like 1

I was told that this trans had no pilot bushing and the input shaft hung in the air. 
mine is fine, so there is no reason to replace it. 
I just wanted to know its name or model number.

Drive it easy...not a robust 4 speed trans. And a odd and complicated design.

A friend has a CD Deluxe ....had issues but did find a good replacement trans. Yes...The input shaft uses no pilot bearing.

I was told that this trans had no pilot bushing and the input shaft hung in the air. 
mine is fine, so there is no reason to replace it. 
I just wanted to know its name or model number. Anyone know of someone who has one?

• Like 1