1940 president straight eight

Craig Chapman

Having hard time  getting someone capable of working on my studebaker engine..reasonably...and trustworthy..ineed the bearings replaced ..9 main bearings..and seems Noone is able to find them and do my motor sits out of the car..I'm in British Columbia canada and I've tried 3 different  guys who have szidvtheyvwere capable.and taken urge motor and after  12 months no results.if you have anyone who might be capable and not a Barrett Jackson  money guy it would be greatly appreciated..I'm able to pay for work done ..fairly..thanks 

There are some good shops in the US, but that might be a shipping issue for you. How far are you willing to take/ship the engine?  I live in Michigan and take my antique engine work to a shop in Ohio.

Also the good shops have long wait lists and up to one year time is more often the time frame.

As for not Barrett Jackson price, you can generally estimate the price to be at least US$1,000.00/ cylinder.  Might be less or more depending on the condition of the engine.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

This should be an ordinary engine to rebuild as it is all shell bearings. The main issue will be finding parts. 

@Craig Chapman

This post should be down in the Studebaker section.  There are always parts stashes in people's basements or garages, some of them have sets of bearings.  You may get lucky, but it won't be quick or easy for a Studebaker straight 8 engine.  Best chances are for standard size bearings.  The ultimate option is to have someone apply a new, thick layer of babbitt to the original shells, install them in the block, and line bore them to final size.  

You didn't say where you are in B.C., it's a big place.  There must be some capable shops in the Seattle area.  Try contacting the LeMay Museum in Tacoma.  They may know of some shops that could work on your engine.  I'm in Massachusetts, not much help to your project, and the guy who did my 1937 engine is no longer working.

Here is the drawing for the thrust washer that goes on the front end of the crank.  I never found any of these, reused the old one.

engineblockassembly.jpg.2d26c23bd8ddbc29b13a55aeb0dadf71.jpg

thrustwasher174053.png.3da09f12c8d06b84d08da73ea3eae629.png