Rusted Windshield Channel Replacement

Greetings!  I am in the process of replacing the bottom windshield channel in my 65 GS.  It is/was rusted pretty far up the dashboard.  Anyway, when I was taking the old rusted piece out, I noticed there is a cork gasket that sits under the piece removed.  It stretches across the complete bottom of the windshield channel.  If you have ever taken one out, you will know what I mean.  I would like to replace the cork gasket.  Is it needed?  What are the pros and cons?

Thanks,

Jim

1965 GS.

Buick?

Gasket between what and what? Between the glass and the metal or between the two l layers of metal? There should be sealer between the layers of metal and urethane between the glass and the metal.

• Like 1

I didn't see anything like that on mine when I changed the windshield. Cork doesn't seem right. I had a '70s Nova that had a foam strip in there to enhance rusting. What ever it is I would replace it with a like material. Most have lasted this long and its life after the repair will be much more secure from weather.

04443.jpg.aa1eaaf8c292f9520f02e67763d180e2.jpg

On 4/19/2024 at 4:49 AM, vbashers said:

Greetings!  I am in the process of replacing the bottom windshield channel in my 65 GS.  It is/was rusted pretty far up the dashboard.  Anyway, when I was taking the old rusted piece out, I noticed there is a cork gasket that sits under the piece removed.  It stretches across the complete bottom of the windshield channel.  If you have ever taken one out, you will know what I mean.  I would like to replace the cork gasket.  Is it needed?  What are the pros and cons?

Thanks,

Jim

신용카드 현금화

So Went to have a new windshield put in and when the old one was removed the installer found some rust, so I had him hold off so I can repair the channel. I've delt with rust repair before but nothing I couldn't get access too again if I didn't do a good enough job. There isn't any holes but definitely some pitting all over. I've been going at it with wire wheels and a die grinder and it's cleaning up nicely. More work to do but I'm starting to think about paint. My usual go to for rust is por15 but I've read it isn't ideal for windshield channels so I picked up an epoxy primer, but still need to figure out how to treat the rust. I'm not sure how thin the metal is so I don't want to over grind it and make a hole.