1932 fan shroud removal

RKS

1932 Franklin shroud removal. 
Trying to remove the shroud off the front of the engine. I have taken all the bolts IMG_5972.jpeg.d32e579b09bd53409fdb8c9ab732e66e.jpegout on the sheet metal that I can find and one side seems loose but the other passenger side does not want to give. I understand it’s 92 years old and want to not damage anything any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you very much.

Ron.

There are bolts into the engine behind the fan - so first you have to remove the fan from the front of the crankshaft - get the crank snout off first, then undo the big nut (without using a cold chisel) and then pull the fan off.

While the fan is off, you should send it to Paul Fitzpatrick @PFitz for him to put new rubber disks in it.

Roger

5 hours ago, theKiwi said:

There are bolts into the engine behind the fan - so first you have to remove the fan from the front of the crankshaft - get the crank snout off first, then undo the big nut (without using a cold chisel) and then pull the fan off.

While the fan is off, you should send it to Paul Fitzpatrick @PFitz for him to put new rubber disks in it.

Roger

Yup to what Roger said.

You can make a crank snout removal tool out of iron pipe notched to fit the two side pins of the snout. Drill a hole through the pipe to put a prybar through. Wack the prybar to loosen the crank snout. Then a 2-1/8 inch socket to remover the large hex nut holding the fan on. 

Under the large hex nut of the crankshaft snout the fan hub has two 5/16 threaded holes to use a simple steering wheel puller - available at some Autoparts stores and tool suppliers.

Once the fan is off you will see the rest of the airbox bolts that also hold the timing chain cover on with four additional bolts for the timing chain cover's under side fastened to the front of the oil pan.

And yes, that fan hub fabric has hardened and is no longer flexible and there will be rust in the hub flange joint under the fabric that will cause the fan to wobble. And that will cause engine vibration. See my fan hub rebuilding ad in the Franklin Club's website, "Parts For Sale, Services" section.

Paul 

I don't know if Paul needs the business or he's busy or has a back log, but you can't beat his fan job. It's fantastic and done just like the Franklin factory did it 90+ years ago. Don't put it off and think your fan is OK. 90+ years takes its toll. Get it done! If you don't, you'll be sorry.