Drive shaft connection to engine issue

Howard Boyle

I just rebuilt my 1953 Chevrolet Bel Air 235. In the process of putting it back in the car I can’t get the drive shaft over the cross member the engine rests on. The universal joint is about a quarter inch too long to fit over the cross member.  It came apart fine.  What is my problem.  I have the wheels of the ground and the engine connected to the cross member.  Should I disconnect the transmission from the cross member and see if I  can pry on the bar to get some play to get the drive shaft over the cross member?  Help!

Edited by Howard Boyle
Misspelling (see edit history)

Maybe try raising the car in the center rear by the bumper or frame. Maybe when you stretch the springs out it might give you just enough clearance. I am not sure if it will work but it's worth a try before  unbolting the rear end.

9 minutes ago, marcapra said:

Maybe you should have attached the front u-joint first and the rear u-joint last?  

Torque tube. No rear Universal.   Is the u joint assembled or split?  Normally you split the u joint to remove the rear or trans. 

• Like 1

All I've worked on are Mopars, which have Hotchkiss drive.  I knew Fords had torque tube, but didn't know about 50s Chevrolets.  

19 hours ago, Oldtech said:

Torque tube. No rear Universal.   Is the u joint assembled or split?  Normally you split the u joint to remove the rear or trans. 

It’s split.  It’s so close to going over the cross member.  I’ll be at it again tomorrow.  

• Like 1