1955 Buick Special Trunk Lock Operation

M1842

This is a silly question maybe.  But when I unlock the trunk on my 55, the cylinder just turns and doesn't spring back when I stop turning and let go.  It just stops where I leave it.  To lock the trunk, I close the lid and I turn the lock cylinder the opposite way.  I don't recall seeing anything in the owner's manual about this and its certainly not how any of my other cars (going back to the late 60s) have functioned, except for my 51 Chevy.  Is there a broken spring in the lock or is this just normal operation?  Is this something that one finds on well used (or abused} old cars.

Mark

Have you lubricated the lock mechanism and it still acts like that?  You could try some brake cleaner spray in there to free things up. and then some appropriate graphite lube.  I'd use the liquid form of lubricant.

• Like 2

Usually there is a spring wound around the lock mechanism. If this is not there, you need one. See the leftmost lock in this picture:

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/18115/10002/-1?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImoSd65-lhQMVOEhHAR2AAwLuEAQYAiABEgICf_D_BwE

That spiral looking spring on the end away from the keyway.

If the spring is there, then lubricate. I like Lock-Ease. Others like dry powdered graphite, but just a little! it is easy to puff too much in. Most locksmiths warn against using WD-40. TriFlow is used by some also.

• Like 3

Well, checked the back of the cylinder and saw the coil spring.   I hit the lock with brake clean and then some silicone lubricating spray and it works again!  That must be the easiest thing I have fixed on the car.  I will look for the products mentioned above to lubricate properly.

Thank you for your help, John and Frank!

Mark

• Like 2