1968 Excalibur SS Roadster - $25,000

I know...  "Neoclassic" cars like the Clenet make me think of Liberace, but I have to admit the very first Excaliburs (like this), have some appeal. (more pics in ad) 

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/san-francisco-1968-excalibur-ss-roadster/7732848861.html

68 Excalibur SS Roadster for sale. One of about 260 roadsters ever built. Hasn’t been driven on the road since 2004, but it does run and drive. Original 327CI V8 and 3 speed automatic transmission. Very rare American made car with real side exit exhausts and real knock-off wheels. Rust free other than some surface corrosion on the chrome wheels and chrome luggage rack. Clean title in my name registered Non- Operation. $25,000 Located in Folsom CA. I can bring the car to any shipping port in California for overseas buyers.  (916) 715-1462

00505_3ogGu1gd63t_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00M0M_kLEfwqFWN4_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00z0z_444BuaCBjR3_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00m0m_l12AYOnUbJI_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

• Like 3

I guess that you could call these the "Uber Gazelle!" These certainly look more substantial than those other cheaper kit cars. I was impressed by the concept, as I believe that these had a Corvette engine. That was back when I was a kid, now that I know more about cars, I find the exposed '60 era crossmember with independent suspicion like a typical American car, looks kind of bogus. Just paint it green and hope that nobody notices!

I will admit that I'm starting to find the idea of one of the little kit cars might be a fun car at the right price. I'd certainly like to have this Excaliber, and the price seems to be pretty reasonable. 

• Like 1

I guess that you could call these the "Uber Gazelle!"

In a way, this might be what later kit Mercedes were trying to copy. These were the work of Brooks Stevens, and the prototype was Studebaker based. I think one reason I like them is they make me think of Briggs Cunningham's Bu-Merc! 

Bu-Merc-front-3-4.jpg 

I used to go to Kit Car get togethers and the more expensive Mercedes SSK roadster replicas looked quite impressive. There were always lots of Cobra  and Porsche Speedster replicas. It's easy to label them as cheap, VW based kits or converted Fieros, but many are very well engineered and built. I think that even the VW types might be fun. I saw a Blower Bentley VW kit, and though it wouldn't fool anyone. Its more of an homage. It's the only one that I've ever seen. It is more likely to make the onlooker think of Pep Boys, instead of Bentley Boys, but I like it anyway. 

1930-vw-bentley-replica-001.jpg

1930-vw-bentley-replica-008.jpg

• Like 1

The Excalibur's were a cool car back in the day. I was outbid on a 1974 Excalibur with a 454  many years ago. I was smitten because of the Corvette chassis and powertrain. It was previously owned by a big $$$ celebrity sports figure which didn't matter to me. That's why I didn't keep bidding. Don't care about who owned it, more so how they took care of it. In this case too much money  probably hurt the condition. 

Still would like to drive one!