1949 Chevy pickup height and width.

tpay

After many years of waiting I am finally getting my 1949 Chevy pick up, and I am looking to store it in a poor womans garage (shipping container) but need to know if it will fit before I buy the container. Does anyone have overall height and width of them? Or has anyone stored them in a shipping container? Thank you for any information you can help with.

My Dad kept his '51 3600 Chevy pickup in a standard shipping container, albeit without the bed on. There is very little room to maneuver around the truck once it's inside, and I think if the doors and bed had been on it, there would have been no way to get inside the cab! 

I was going to say, it may fit inside one, but you will most likely have to winch it in and out as there may be very little room on the side. The sea boxes are steel and will condensate on the inside. Make sure if you use one you check on the air flow on occasion. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I was going to say, it may fit inside one, but you will most likely have to winch it in and out as there may be very little room on the side. The sea boxes are steel and will condensate on the inside. Make sure if you use one you check on the air flow on occasion. 

Not to mention those boxes are not insulated, along with no ventilation and in the summer will easily get hot enough to cook eggs on. So depending on your location, excess heat build up inside the container could potentially do more damage to your vehicle than if you just let it sit out in the open in direct sun..

I have seen mention on other forums of folks taking two containers, placing them side by side leaving a gap between and then building a roof over top to help keep the heat buildup in check.. The space in between could be used like a car port or place out of the weather to wrench on.

As far as theft proof, no better than anything else and tend to be rich targets for thieves from what I have gathered from some of the tractor forums.

They are very easy to break into. We used to use them on our construction sites. The latches are made of soft metal. We would put the best lock money could buy, instead of cutting through the lock the thieves would just cut the latch off! Easy Peasy. Never had it happen to one of ours but I have also heard of thieves cutting right through the side of the box. It got to a point that we would park a piece of heavy equipment in front of the doors, and also not leave any tools in them. One job after the 2nd theft and parking a backhoe in front of the door the low lifes came back, disappointed that they could not get in, broke the windows on the machine and put sand in the tank!

I find the containers very practical.  I have put in ventilation with about a one square ft opening on the door end and a one square ft opening on the other side where I have one of the whirly style roof vents.  I have not had any moisture issues.  I store our Corvette, Camaro, and the other old cars when I have not working on them.

As for the locking mechanism, locks are just for the honest folks. Any lock is just a 10 second inconvenience to a thief with the new battery powered cut off tools. 

51MLHnFBtGL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Standard cargo containers, whether 20 ft. or 40 ft. long, are about 7.5 ft wide (inside) and little less than 8 ft. high (inside). Outside width is about 8 ft. and outside height about 8.5 ft.

A stock 1949 Chevrolet 1/2-ton pick is probably about 6.5 ft. wide and 6.5-7 ft. high and should easily fit inside a standard 20 ft. (or 40 ft.) cargo container.

Probably millions of cars and trucks are stored (and shipped every day) inside cargo containers all over the world.

I personally know numerous people who keep their vehicles in them.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

Another reason to use a container versus a building is in many states the containers are looked as as personal property like a trailer because they are moveable.  Different tax rate than real property, ie. real estate and their taxes which is becoming crazy high.

I can get in and out of all of my vehicles by just driving them into the container, though the Corvette & Camaro are kind of tight.  If you are over 200 pounds and a waist more than maybe 36-38" it could be tough, very tough.  I gives me motivation to not gain any weight. 

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)