1908 best of the long run ribbon/medal L.A. to San Fransico

bonstein

The Tourist was an automobile manufacturer from LA 1902-1910 with maybe 500 cars being made each year. Sadly that exact watch fob was heavily reproduced in the 1960’s by the LA Rubber Stamp Company. Being a slightly different configuration than the typical reproduction is curious, it could be that it was from a car tour commemorating the anniversary in ‘58 and afterwards they made more of the fobs without the ribbon and dangle. Chances are it was a complete fantasy item and none ever existed in the first place as it was an extremely obscure manufacturer. If it is actually genuine it would be very hard to authenticate because of the commonality of the reproductions.

11 hours ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

The Tourist was an automobile manufacturer from LA 1902-1910 with maybe 500 cars being made each year. Sadly that exact watch fob was heavily reproduced in the 1960’s by the LA Rubber Stamp Company. Being a slightly different configuration than the typical reproduction is curious, it could be that it was from a car tour commemorating the anniversary in ‘58 and afterwards they made more of the fobs without the ribbon and dangle. Chances are it was a complete fantasy item and none ever existed in the first place as it was an extremely obscure manufacturer. If it is actually genuine it would be very hard to authenticate because of the commonality of the reproductions.

If it is a watch fob, why does it have the remains of a pin on the back?  Would appear to be some type of medal.

• Haha 1

Well, I guess you did not read my entire post… I did say it was not exactly identical, but it’s just about identical to the reproduction watch fobs that litter eBay and car shows coast to coast. Here’s pictures of six currently available on eBay, they are of no value whatsoever to anyone who collects them. There are more available out there but any reputable dealer would know better than to misrepresent one.

IMG_1227.png

IMG_1228.png

Edited by Mark Wetherbee (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I know nothing about what this might be expcept what I checked out on Wiki, ergo: The RAC Tourist Trophy (sometimes called the International Tourist Trophy)[1] is a motor racing award presented by the Royal Automobile Club (RAC) to the overall victor of a motor race in the United Kingdom. Established in 1905, it is the world's oldest automobile race.[2

Is it possible the OP is in fact a medal presented back in those days in the UK. seems like a reasonable possibility to me. 

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 1

thank you,i  just know this was in the warehouse with a lot of model a and t parts back in 62-63 when i worked with my dad

lot of old trannys from around 36-37 for dodge buick and chevy

and an old forklift with a 2 blade fab 4 cylinder ford engine,

thank you,appreciate the info

12 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

I know nothing about what this might be expcept what I checked out on Wiki, ergo: The RAC Tourist Trophy (sometimes called the International Tourist Trophy)[1] is a motor racing award presented by the Royal Automobile Club (RAC) to the overall victor of a motor race in the United Kingdom. Established in 1905, it is the world's oldest automobile race.[2

Is it possible the OP is in fact a medal presented back in those days in the UK. seems like a reasonable possibility to me. 

Certainly not anything the RAC would have issued. 

Terry

On 3/18/2024 at 8:56 PM, bonstein said:

Any info would be appreciated.  I found this in my brass acetylne headlamp  about 30 years ago

0318241728_resized.jpg

0318241729_resized.jpg

0318241729a_resized.jpg

Clearer photos of both sides plus the attachments would be important for me to study before offering my input. As a 50 year collector of Auto related watch fobs, I'm with Mark on the number of fantasy items out there. There are some differences that warrant further study.  That said, don't assume just because it was found among old stuff that it's old. They have been available since the early 1960s at least.

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 1