1927 Dodge 4 door

Good day everyone.

My name is Charlie and I am in Middelburg South Africa.

I want to get this lady running - 1927 Dodge 4 Cyl - 6Volt with a Magneto as per the pics.

Now there is no rotor bust just the 

I am not sure of the ignition timing marks, so this is what I've done so far.

* Put it on TDC with no 1 rocking. 

* Not sure where and how the marks on the magneto must be so can you please advise

* Had the fuel tank flushed and cleaned

* How long will it take for the fuel to get to the carburetor

* This is a 6V battery and I don't want to crank until the battery is flat... 

* Another question is, where should the ignition switch be, I suppose IGN  ??

* Not sure how and where to have the 1927Dodge.jpg.43dfc475dda568e18ba52c4b070139ed.jpgIgnitionswitch.jpg.54586c796546865f58ec8ac06c717636.jpgMagneto1.jpg.8579ec43ab1c4f7f5fee2af908ca911d.jpgTDC.jpg.562ec64b466af26291ce6c1b4365b68a.jpgMagneto.jpg.532fb137d32227f0beec127deb362942.jpg

Easy questions first. The engine will likely run in all positions except PARK, but the IGN is the normal running position. The others work the lights.

I expect this car has a vacuum tank for a fuel pump. You must take a plug out on top and put 1/2 litre of gas in the tank to get it running. 

Timing the magneto gets more complex and there are a couple of questions. Does it have an impulse coupling. As in, does it make a snap for each cylinder when you crank the engine. I expect it does, in which case you need to very slowly turn the engine and watch the timing mark. It should snap JUST AFTER the upper dead center mark.  If no impulse coupling there's a different approach.  What make of Magneto is it?

A picture of the complete engine compartment may help.  

• Thanks 1

Sure looks to me that you need to check the serial number and get the proper owner's manual. DB called them Books of Information. It will have answers to most of your questions. A reprint is available from AACA library. From what I see it isn't a '27, most likely a late '25. The serial number will tell, NOT the engine number.

• Like 1

First of all thank you very much for the advice and prompt response. 

I am just not sure about the “ impulse coupling. As in, does it make a snap for each cylinder when you crank the engine”

What is a impulse coupling?

Can I post a picture of the complete assembled engine here.

if so I will post tomorrow

My email address is charlievr@eastvaal.co.za

23 hours ago, Charlie van Rensburg said:

I am just not sure about the “ impulse coupling. As in, does it make a snap for each cylinder when you crank the engine”

What is a impulse coupling?

See response in your other thread about ignition timing.