Adding a vane type electric fuel pump to my 50 Ford Custom

50 Ford Custom

I have a 1950 Ford Custom with a v-8. The mechanical fuel pump had been removed and replaced by a simple diaphragm type electric fuel pump by the previous owner. There is a fuel pressure regulator in the system. That pump is the only fuel source and has proven to be problematic. I purchased a rotary vane pump from Precision model E-16088 to replace it. Now that I have the pump and am preparing to install it I am concerned about the pumps minimum flow rate of 25 gph. I'm also installing an oil pressure safety switch at the same time. Do I need to be concerned with the minimum flow rate? 

No, no need to worry about min flow rate.

What you do need to be concerned with is the pressure, that pump is rated as 4 PSI - 8 PSI.

8 PSI would be "dead headed" pressure which is what happens when the float valve is closed. You would need to make sure that pump does not supply more pressure than what the float is capable of handling. Too high of pressure and you run the risk of the pump forcing float valve opening and over flowing your carb.

From what I can find, that is a O Rieleys brand, they don't have much in details on the website whether that is internally regulated or requires external regulator with fuel return to tank. Read the instructions and information carefully.

Personally, after dealing with my Dads truck (which he heavily modified including adding a electric pump) with carburetor system, I would highly recommend you rethink using a electric pump and going back to a mechanical pump. Reliability of external electric pumps (outside of the fuel tank) is pretty much more miss than hit especially when combined with a carburetor. Those electric fuel pumps in my Dads truck were a never ending source of break downs.

If you still wish to continue down that rabbits hole, make sure you add a prefilter before the pump, failing to do that will void the warranty of the pump and debris in the fuel often can clog/damage the pump.. Old school mechnical diaphram pumps tend to handle debris in the fuel a bit more graciously.

Edited by ABear
corrected wording (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yes, any positive displacement pump should not be restricted.  If your pump has rubber vanes, you might be OK as it will bend the vanes to leak the excess.  However, I suggest you get a rotary centrifugal pump that will work fine with restriction.

In my opinion and many others, an electric fuel pump is a solution looking for a problem. 

I would go with the original equipment pump,....unless there is vapor lock issue in hot weather then I would consider putting one at the tank for use only when vapor lock would be occurring to purge the line of air and then turn it off.

If you got about 15 miles per gallon traveling at 60 miles per hour you would use 4 gallons of fuel. Looks like you can figure the pump does about 6 times what you need.