Chickasha Pre-War Swap Meet report

So I drove the 200 miles to the annual Chickasha, OK. Pre-War Swap meet on Friday morning. Numbers of vendors and shoppers were down, as usual. No reservations were being taken from vendors for next year, so this is probably the final such event. Very sad. Everybody's getting older and interest in Pre-World War Two cars seems to be slipping. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the meet, made a few good purchases and saw some amazing cars, including a '39 Century with side-mounted spare tires that was for sale for $8500, not running and in need of most everything, but quite complete.

Chickasha #1.JPG

Chickasha #3.JPG

Chickasha #6.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

Chickasha #2.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0079.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for report.

I don’t think interest in pre-war cars is “slipping”, I just think it’s evolving.

Most any part or car is available online, so no need to travel and spend gas, food, lodging.

Yes, one misses personal contacts and seeing friends, but with the cost of living these days one has to choose wisely, and travel plans suffer.

Also, the cost to work on a project car has hurt both project car values, and subsequent parts values, for projects not moving forward.

The market for good cars remains strong, and anyone waiting to buy their first antique car “when the market crashes” is wasting a lot of fun times and new friend acquisitions.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

Thanks Pete for the report.  Was the gray touring car for sale?

The gray touring was a 1910 Overland. The owner drove it up and back 75 miles (one way) from Lawton Ok.  It was not for sale. Had been in his family for some time. 

As a side note, I saw quite a few Buick hubcaps.

Enjoyed the swap meet. Too bad it is the last one. 

Edited by AzBob (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is really sad to see this meet wind down.  I came down for the very first meet in March of 1990.  So much stuff there that a person couldn't begin to see it all.  What really hurts is that by being located in the central part of the country it really isn't all that far for a whole lot of folks.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

• Like 4