3 speed trans leak

NewSavoy54

Hey fellas. I recently purchased a 54 Plymouth savoy with the 230 and 3 on the tree. The trans had a significant leak that appeared to be coming from the front where it mates to the bellhousing. I bought a reseal kit and replaced every seal and installed them with gray rtv, including I the fasteners that go through the case. I reinstalled the trans and added fluid and i have the same leak. What did I miss? I appreciate the help. Thanks!

Is there input shaft seal missing?  If your manual is like mine there is a circular cork seal they fits over the input shaft and seals the area between the shaft and throw out bearing support.  Just a guess on yours.  Mine leaked out of the front when the seal gave up. 

See the black in color seal around the shaft? Does your have a place for it? 

IMAG0752.jpg

There is no input shaft seal on that 3 speed.

Was the bell housing to transmission gasket installed?

Sometimes the countershaft that the cluster gear rides on will leak at the front end of the case.

It is supposed to be a tight fit in the case....but have seen them get loose aad leak at the front lower case.

Yes, that gasket was installed. Do I need to replace the bearing with a sealed unit to fix the issue, or can I use a seal from a different transmission to at least slow the leak down? Thanks. 

Avgwarkawk, I do not believe my trans had that black seal. I would love to get something in there to slow it down, not sure why I couldn’t use something if it would fit over the shaft well. Hoping to find a solution soon, spring time should be here soon!

I’m trying to find a seal that was used in this location in later transmissions. According to Bernbaum, my trans doesn’t have a seal, but grommets were to be used with the bolts, which didn’t come with my kit. 

Check the fluid level is not above the bottom of the fill hole and confirm the proper lubricant was used, my guess is it had 80-90 weight. When the transmission was installed did the front of the transmission lean downward for a little while trying to install it and some residual oil run out the input collar?

I did not smear rtv on the holes you identified as a cap nor did I do it on the flathead screw head. Perhaps that is where my leak is coming from. I did add rtv to the threads of the three bolts holding the retainer on. The leak is not coming from the side of the the case where the shifting linkage is. Only the top shifter linkage had an oring when disassembling and I used a new oring. 

• 2 weeks later...