1973 Ford Torino Bumper Jack

Torino Paul

Would anyone know what the oem material was used to plate a 1973 bumper jack shaft to a Ford Gran Torino. I have it apart and sandblasted. I am restoring it to original condition. I contacted the Ford Motor Co. and they referred me to this forum. Thank You, Paul

I joined Ford in December  of 72 and I'm gonna guess Ford did not manufacture the jack, they bought it from a supplier.  If the original plating was a yellowish color it was probably yellow cadmium plated.  In the 1990's that coating was outlawed as a carcinogen and every parts supplier, either basic manufacturing or outside supplier was tasked with eliminating yellow cad from every part at the component level.   You may have to go to an outfit like Eastwood to see what kind of safe paint or other coating you could use.  If it was silver it may have been galvanized.

Edited by Str8-8-Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here is a new one in the box from a ford dealer.  I bet you can't get your plated for this price...

This jack, not the one I just posted by accident....

1972 1973 1974 Ford Torino Fairlane Ranchero LtdII Bumper Jack NOS D2OZ-17808-A | eBay

I don't know what your zip code is but if you go to the shipping page and put in your zip E-bay will calculate correct shipping.

Edited by Str8-8-Dave (see edit history)