Brakes on 1990 Olds 98

ksspotty

Hello all,

I have a new to me 1990 Oldsmobile 98 Touring. I'm having trouble with the brakes. Right now it feels like I have manual brakes, and will stop given enough time. Pedal is hard as a rock.

I plan on pulling the codes tonight but after doing some research, Im leaning towards it being the accumulator. The Teves unit and all involved parts seem impossible to find new/refurb.

I plan to go to a pull apart this weekend and look for one. I feel as though my options are replace the system/or accumulator with a different one or switch over to booster/master cylinder setup.

Any input would be appreciated!

It appears the non-ABS brakes in that year were a standard vacuum booster, so it shouldn’t be too difficult.

He said Teves in the original post. As far as I know, that's ABS. There could be old threads in the Reatta and Chrysler TC sections of the forum that might help. I believe both of those cars used Teves at some point.

• Like 2

The teves system that GM made avaliable to different luxury divisions was amazing, I ordered a 1988 Oldsmobile Toronado trofeo with that system, when new I was afraid my wife would kill herself as she was not afraid of hitting the brakes hard and that baby would stop from 60 mph to a dead stop in 135’. When the car got maybe 150,000 miles I worried that she would get killed because any gremlin that showed up in the brake system could mean no brakes.  Not learning my lesson I bought a 1991 Allante which came standard with Teves brake system, I owned that car for 3 weeks, ask me why. A few years ago I bought a 93 Allante which came without the Teves system, I guess I should not have to explain my thinking on that!  Now to try to be helpful, I would suggest contacting the president of the Allante club in San Diego, his name is Tom Rohnert I believe, he knows this system well and he rebuilds the components, I would think the accumulator and pump are the same the distribution and ABS system is probably calibrated differently as vehicle weight is different.  I don’t want to be a “Debbie Downer

” but I don’t believe it is practical to change over to conventional system.  The reason being the whole thing works on releasing hundreds of pounds of hydraulic pressure to each wheel and then using the abs system to release each wheel to keep them from locking up, once again amazing brakes when they work

Edited by ramair
Spelling error (see edit history)
  • Like 1