1986 Ford Cab over CLT 9000 VIN location?

3 minutes ago, R Walling said:

i CHECKED THAT SITE ALSO, i AN TRYING SEVERAL DIFFERENT NUMBERS AS SUGGESTED BY THE SITE.

THANK YOU, ROGER

If you are sure of the last 8 digits, you can call Ford and they should be able to help you.

• Like 1

Quoted from Google, "

What are the old Ford divisions?
Ford now encompasses two brands: Ford and Lincoln. Ford once owned 5 other luxury brands: Volvo, Land Rover, Jaguar, Aston Martin, and Mercury. Over time, those brands were sold to other companies and Mercury was discontinued."

Ford pickups and larger straight trucks had the frame number on top of the frame on the passenger side,they were very hard to see as they were partially covered by the body under the fire wall. I can only recall looking for a vin on a cone that burned after a crash I think it was also on the passenger side near the front wheel on the top or inside of the frame. That was over 40 years ago and I can’t remember 3 things to get at the store.

BINGO ! WITH YOUR HELP, i FINNALY GOT THE CORRECT VIN.

Thank You from the bottom of my heart, Larry and all the others that took the time to help.

QUOTE,

"NHTSA’s VIN decoder allows you to query a particular vehicle’s VIN to identify specific information encoded in the number.

VIN

Partial VINs are also accepted

Model Year

If entered the year from VIN will be ignored

FORD.jpg1986 FORD - TRUCK

Error Text: 0 - VIN decoded clean. Check Digit (9th position) is correct"
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, R Walling said:

BINGO ! WITH YOUR HELP, i FINNALY GOT THE CORRECT VIN.

Thank You from the bottom of my heart, Larry and all the others that took the time to help.

QUOTE,

"NHTSA’s VIN decoder allows you to query a particular vehicle’s VIN to identify specific information encoded in the number.

VIN

Partial VINs are also accepted

Model Year

If entered the year from VIN will be ignored

FORD.jpg1986 FORD - TRUCK

Error Text: 0 - VIN decoded clean. Check Digit (9th position) is correct"

What position and number/letter was off?

The 9th position where the 4 is is called the check digit.  Because the length of the VIN#s went from 13 to 17 digits from 1980 to 1981 that digit was added so the rest of the numbers of the VIN would be put in a formula and should add up to that number.  The number is not the same for all VIN numbers.  If the rest of the numbers & letters in the VIN# do not add up the check digit, then the VIN would kick out as not correct.

A GM card below might help in explaining the standardized VIN number layout. 

img20240310_09132295.jpg

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Now that CSI - AACA has solved the case of the VIN - I think Steve M should pitch the idea to Hollywood, CSI:AACA where a group of detectives come together to examine the cold cases of long deceased automobiles, examine the remains, follow the evidence and solve the mystery!

My apologies for taking so long to get this information, the weekend got away from me.  This info is all from an 81 manual but it might provide you with more details of the truck - maybe more that you want!  I would think that the codes remained the same but that's only a guess.

image.jpeg.88ee7cb742ec4f2b808eb92af25de370.jpeg

image.jpeg.ba1e6bcbe292613638fc529be97ac40c.jpeg

image.jpeg.b96b8d678b93bf9478c9d4e92814d19d.jpeg

image.jpeg.adb39ea7c2051219e38545d9031ba411.jpeg

image.jpeg.77e2779789be2ddcebbf2ee3a52da955.jpeg

image.jpeg.ea072ff2cbd42a4ae4aa18ea33f8b384.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 3macboys said:

image.jpeg.a9f853e1233b0a7fd9199e5234ade385.jpeg

I believe that the information that you are showing is for 1980 and before.  At least in the US the car manufacturers were required to go to a 17 place VIN#. As shown in my card, the first number in the VIN# for 1981 and forward is for country of origin.  1=US, 2=Canada, 3-Mexico, W=Germany, J=Japan, and I do not remember the others.  Second digit is manufacturer. G=GM, F= Ford, and so on.  Third digit is for the brand.  In the GM world, 4=Buick, and so on.

If my memory is correct, the reason for the 17 digit number is to include among other things the type of passenger restraint system in the vehicle.

7 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

I believe that the information that you are showing is for 1980 and before.  At least in the US the car manufacturers were required to go to a 17 place VIN#. As shown in my card, the first number in the VIN# for 1981 and forward is for country of origin.  1=US, 2=Canada, 3-Mexico, W=Germany, J=Japan, and I do not remember the others.  Second digit is manufacturer. G=GM, F= Ford, and so on.  Third digit is for the brand.  In the GM world, 4=Buick, and so on.

If my memory is correct, the reason for the 17 digit number is to include among other things the type of passenger restraint system in the vehicle.

You are correct about the switch to the 17 digit VIN - the service manual is a bit jumbled in that it shows the break out for 79 and 80 and then will give a Figure number at the bottom of that page with the actual info on the following page.  The first picture might be off but the if you go through the rest you can see where it breaks out each digit through the 10th and then the remaining will be the sequential build number.  In any event I was trying pass along the other codes for the various sub assemblies.  It is interesting that for an 81 manual they provided the year code going forward up to 1991.  There's a ton of information there but you have to sort through it as there as a lot of overlap on each page for the three years between 79 and 81.  Start at the 2nd picture and it will show you the make up of the VIN.

Don

• Like 3