1948 Roadmaster Convertible: Outer door handle

Hello,

new owner of an old Buick here. 

I have purchased 1948 Roadmaster that has been partially disassembled.
I'm going to ask a lot more, you've been warned. I'll start with the one related to the front door handle.

The handle is detached from the car and ferrules/escutcheons are missing.
The handle of my car has to be 'turned' to open the door, but when I look at pictures online and it seems that the handle should be the kind that is 'pulled'? Or I misunderstood...
Is it the case that the lock has been changed to a different model or were there two different models that year?

There are two different models for sale online, of which that ferrule seems to fit me...

thanks
Timo

outerDoorHandle.JPG

Wlcome to this Forum, and to Buicks.  That advertisement seems to be one ferrule that could be used on either side of the car, one tool for installation of the ferrule that is universal for either side and the trunk ferrule(if required),  and then two different estcheons which are likely intended to be used on specific sides of the car.  I will caution that I never had direct experience with your year Buick so I could be wrong. 

Wishing you good luck 

I worded my question a badly (english is not mine mother language, i have to use google sometimes).
I meant that I think the handle in the picture is the so-called 'pull-out model', not 'turned' like mine and escutcheon shown in the picture is not working with 'turning' model?
Or if it works, do I need both, the ferrule and the escutcheon? Is the ferrule under the escutcheon?

DoorHandle.JPG

All 1948 Buicks used a door handle that turns to open.  Buick did not use a pull out type door handle in the 1940's or 1950's.  They went from the turning style to the push button style in 1950.

ok thanks a lot 61polara,

somehow, based on the picture above, I assumed that he was pulling the handle...
Anyway does anyone have experience installing the ferrule, does it require a tool (look pic) or is it also possible easily without it?

trunkHandleTool.jpg

ferrule.jpg

Hello Timo,

I'm Robert, the owner of a 1946 Buick Super. I did the "door job" a few days ago.

The escutcheon (HE428) is screwed at the door. The ferule (HF408) fit's into the hole of the escutcheon. I ordered the ferrule, too. But the old ferrule fits perfect into the escutcheon, so I decided not to order the installing tool and put the ferrule into the escutcheon without bending it with the tool.

Edited by Robuick46 (see edit history)

If you will order parts in the states, don't forget all the other important door parts, like the retaining clips and the tapered screw (page 107) ... and so on.

If I may give you a hint, restore the door locks as well, I did that and today I reassembled everything. The difference is huge, everything works very easily again. I have the post in my thread.

Do you have a shop manual? You will need it.

18 hours ago, Robuick46 said:

Hello Timo,

I'm Robert, the owner of a 1946 Buick Super. I did the "door job" a few days ago.

The escutcheon (HE428) is screwed at the door. The ferule (HF408) fit's into the hole of the escutcheon. I ordered the ferrule, too. But the old ferrule fits perfect into the escutcheon, so I decided not to order the installing tool and put the ferrule into the escutcheon without bending it with the tool.

Robert, thank you so much for your help,
so the ferrule is attached to the escutcheon?
I read your story about the door lock, now I have one more job, I have to check the locks;)

I have shop manual, but not next to me, its on the car.
I assume there is something about locks on the page 107?

11 hours ago, NailheadBob said:

This may help that was on this forum:

Bob

EDIT: Here is some 48 Buick parts for sale on this forum:

Bob

Hi Bob and thank you very much for this and my question about the front fender molding, it seems you know these things...

And now that I'm here, I'd like to ask what book you recommend for body maintenance on a '48 Buick Convertible?
Since I haven't found anything specifically for the '48 model year, would a '47 or '49 be better?
I've seen some reprinted manuals that are unusable due to the darkness of the pictures, so I have to find the original?
Or is there a difference in manufacturers, could a reprint of a certain manufacturer be OK?

\Timo